What could do this?!?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Someone please help!!! Something got into my coup yesterday early morning & attacked Luna, my broody Japanese Bantam Cross; && cracked open her eggs along with my silkie Sparkle's eggs she was sitting on. I am going to try & get a few pictures of the aftermath, & my poor Luna. What ever it was really messed her face & beak up. I don't know what to do for her. We brought her inside & made her a nest in one of my boys old baby bath tubs w/ a little things of water & feed. Her eyes are swollen shut & her beak looks "out of place"... I don't know what to do for her. We can't afford to take her to a vet, but I don't have the heart to put her down. She is my 2 year olds pet, he loves her so much & is devastated right now... Any ideas as to what got in? I am thinking a raccoon...

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

A skunk could have. I'd thinka raccoon would have killed the bird. Skunks will try to get to the eggs, and if the bird wont move she gets hurt in the scuffle, at least that has been my experience. And it wouldn't necessarily smell of skunk in there afterward.

3. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    my experience with coons is that they kill everything in sight... had em kill 18 in one attack.. never had anything go after eggs..... weasel maybe...

4. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Luna passed peacefully while sleeping in my arms this afternoon. These are the pics of her before I gently cleaned her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    && here are what the eggs looked like.
    [​IMG]

5. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    So sorry for your loss and trauma thru it. :(

Sprinkle flour around the coop outside..... you might have footprints to help you figure it out.

It might try to come back since it now knows where the buffet is..... unfortunately.

~Tammy

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    the flour is a really good idea. i will remember that. although i hope i don't have the trauma chobeechickenmom has. that's just terrible. really sorry

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If the ground around the coop is soft enough to take an imprint you could just sweep it smooth after putting your birds away for the night. Then you'll see the footprints of anything prowling around overnight. I think this predator could be an opossum, they like eggs and will injure the setting hens trying to defend them, but not necessarily kill or eat the hens.

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    It's time to setup a live trap.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Poor Luna and future chicks. I can not imagine what could have done it,but I would be set some traps big and small. Flour or sand around the coop for prints.Heck even a game cam if you have the money.

I just caught my 17th coon after weeks of nothing in the trap.Trying to get the cottontails before they munch all my saplings,but instead I get a coon.Porbably one of the last.Traps are worth their money.

Hope you get some chicks in the spring.I saw TSC has them next week. Again, so sorry.Very sad when any chickens get killed,but more so imo when it is a momma and her babies.

10. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Sounds like a weasle to me. Every now and again they'd attack my mother's coop when I was a kid. Nasty little buggers. How deep is the fence buried? Have you found a spot where it dug under the fence?

I don't know if we have weasles in my area (new mexico) but I know for a fact we have skunks so I'll be burying my fence at least 6 inches down. Better safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by