What could have done this? (GRAPHIC PICS)

Cturber

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
Spanish Fort, Al
I have 10- 8 week old broody raised chicks. This week she has pretty much weaned them. They seem pretty well integrated into the flock and I have seen no signs of issues outside of normal pecking order reminders. This am the Coop opens to large run around 6 am. Run is not covered but fenced in And about ⅓ acre. this yard Has lots of cover. At 8am (it’s Saturday, I slept in). I went out to check on them as normal and I notice only 8 of the chicks and one of the 8 is missing Tail feathers, holding a wing funny, and has abrasions on his back. he Is acting normally though. I looked for the other 2 missing chicks and found the remains of 1 in the back part of the chicken yard. No feathers on ground and no sign of missing parts. The other I found injured hiding in brush. I have treated both injured chicks. The one is still with group. The other more seriously injured is inside. I have posted pics. I am putting up cameras today. I have never had a history of any issues with predators. Realistically, I am in south Alabama, and virtually every possible predator is here. I feel sure this happened between 6 and 8am. Not sure if relevant but all 3 chicks involve, I believe to be cockerels. Any thoughts And ideas are appreciated.

injured chick
B3135DD3-BAAE-4C83-B6AA-A418B7F70A4E.jpeg C3893A54-8BD6-4C52-8438-D03A6DD03460.jpeg 82558553-5B46-4137-9BB0-52B2CB402F18.jpeg
dead chick
8483A351-C59D-4849-AA0E-B3DF7DF1650E.jpeg

It had just started getting dark.
View attachment 2291489
Wow.

I have seen an owl On a different part of the property. We have cameras set. Just good to have an idea where danger is. So far, the slightly injured one is doing fine and with flock. The more injured one is holding his own. He’s pretty bad off but alert and comfortable. He isn’t eating or drinking but I am syringing rehydrate gel every few hours when I check on him. Keeping him inside so I can watch him closer. We will see...

Back
Top Bottom