1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What could have happen??-note, graphic images

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lmiller33, Nov 18, 2010.

1. lmiller33

lmiller33 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after 21 days we cracked the egg and this is what we found. At what stage of development is this?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh dear. It wasn't done yet. I never take my eggs out until day 26 unless they are clear. [​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What could have happened?!

Incubation temp could have been off, humidity could have been off, day count could have been off. Do you know what day they were on??

Most suggest waiting til day 23 before removing...but doing a float test before hand. Sad [​IMG] Wish this could have been a better 1st post.

4. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    That chick looks perfectly formed, just needed another day or two

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X 2

[​IMG]

Sorry about the sad first post, it's always a drag when they get so close, but don't make it.

You may want to put "graphic pic" or something similar in your title. Lots of people check out this site with their kids and not everybody is comfortable with dead chick(en) or predator pictures so as a courtesy most of us put graphic in the title so those that it bothers know not to open the thread.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I will be the oddball here and assume that the chick was dead upon cracking...my main presumption is because there isn't much blood in the shell or leaked around the baby...as I have found, if I mistakenly crack an egg that the chick is alive in, the membrane immediately bleeds profusely...that didn't seem to happen here so the chick was already dead.

OP, just looking, I would say the chick was at approx day 16-17 when he/she expired. Also, it seems very wet...what was your humidity at? I recently attempted a "dry hatch" wherein I added NO water to the incubator AT ALL until day 18. Then I added it to all reservoirs and even wet a washcloth and left it inside. I had a 100% hatch of 3 eggs!

Don't beat yourself up...my first few hatch attempts failed abysmally...and I have found that slight variations in temp don't seem to harm my hatches...my bator usually runs between 98-102 but if you mess up humidity too much, you're in for heartbreak. Just this hatch I was actually shocked it turned out so well. On day 15 someone unplugged my incubator and it got to 70 degrees before my dear husband found it and re-plugged it in! They can survive much but if you have high humidity throughout the process, you will have heartbreak everytime.

7. lmiller33

lmiller33 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    BigDaddy'sGurl-
    Thinking back now you are probably right. i am pretty sure the chick was dead, we candled it for about a minute before cracking it and saw absolutely no movement and there was little to no blood. we kept the humidity at 55 until the 17-18th day. we tried to keep it around 85% after that but on the 18th day the humidity rose to 100%, I'm guessing this is probably what killed it. What humidity and temperature levels would you suggest? i have done a lot of research but the suggestions range so much its hard to figure out what levels to use. i have a very cheap still air incubator with an egg turner but it does not have a fan. its frustrating to get a chick to this point and then lose it, i plan to try again next week, and hopefully have a successful hatch so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

8. lmiller33

lmiller33 New Egg

Nov 18, 2010
    Kittymomma-
    I’m sorry i didn’t disclose about the graphic image in the title, if you know how i could go back and change the title on the thread i will do so, but unfortunately i don’t know how to do that (this is my first post on this web site) but, although hopefully i will never have to post any graphic images ever again, if i ever do will remember to include that in the title.
    Lindsay

9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Quote:No problem!! Don't worry!!! If you still want to put a warning, go to your original post at the top of the page, and then click "edit." It will then allow you to change whatever you want - even the title to the thread.

I'm sorry this was so disappointing...but

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by