What could have happened to this egg to make it so deformed???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tarheelmama7914, Dec 6, 2010.

1. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    What could have happened to this egg to make it so deformed???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

did the duck just start laying? new layers will lay some strange looking eggs sometimes!

3. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    I don't think so. We have two females, but I think they were both laying before that.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Maybe it needs some oyster shell? I really don't know but that's what I would try.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sometimes weird eggs just happen. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes consistent or worse or the hen displays odd behavior. Of course, a side of oyster shell in their pen is never a bad idea--if they need it, they'll eat it; if not, they'll ignore it.

I have a hen who consistently lays a lopsided egg, and she's one of my best layers--just something inside her makes those eggs wonky. She acts normal like all the rest and has been laying like that for several months, so I'm not worried.

However, do make sure they are getting a balanced diet (layer pellets such as Purina Layena plus a side of oyster shell and plenty of forage if possible--supplementary greens if not), and just keep your eye on it. Good luck!

6. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    so far thats been the only strange one we have seen. By the way that is a duck egg... Not sure if it was from the Peking or Mallard...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by