What could have happened?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissJames, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    My chicks have been amazingly healthy with no problems.They are almost 11 weeks old.I live in a mild climate area and until this week it's been warm.My hubby installed a forced air heater to keep the coop around 60-65 in extremely cold weather,like last night.That would be a typical temp for around here.
    This morning he checked the chicks early and everyone was up and active.I went out around 10 with more food and some cabbage and sand grit.I put that down in the coop and everyone ran to it.As I left I opened the hatch to the outside run.
    I went to fill up a waterer and to get some food for the run .I came back in through the run door and all the chicks came out to see what I had.I set it in place and sat down to watch for awhile. Right away I noticed my bigger rooster sat down in a box we have turned on it's side [just a place for them to feel safe]. I went over and picked him up and sat him down.He laid down and a second later put his head down.He was not gasping .His mouth slightly opened once,but he was very weak.Less than 10 minutes earlier he was very active. I put him in a tote and carried him inside .Two minutes later he was dead.No pasty butt,no odd breathing. I ran out and raked through the litter. All poop looks normal.
    I removed the cabbage and grit,although it didn't look as though much had been touched.
    Since then I have been watching the rest of my little flock.They seem fine.
    What could have happened? Could a sudden temp change from a warmer coop to the outside run have caused something that quick? We are only using the heater because they aren't fully feathered yet.

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have no idea but [​IMG] to you, I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BTW, I've been meaning to ask who the cute little chick in your avatar is. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I am soooo sorry for your loss ! Sometimes we just loose the weaker ones. [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Wow! I'm not sure, but I sure am sorry! [​IMG] If the others look ok, maybe something wrong with just the one... no bites, or marks or anything? Could he have pecked at something or gotten to anything?

I'm watching this for more info and/or ideas from others.

5. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I should have said this was the bigger,better looking rooster who was ruling the roost.Such a mystery. I want to avoid a repeat!

6. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:That's my son Sam on Halloween,just before he turned a year old.He spent his first 11 months in the hospital.I dressed him up and got permission to take him out that afternoon. His 1st time out of the hospital! I love that pic! He's seven now,and a real miracle.

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    He was a beautiful baby ! Was he premature ?

8. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:25 Weeker.1lb7oz. We became his foster parents at 6 months old,and spent 5 more months in the NICU. He came home with a trach,IV nutrition and g-tube feeds.I'm not a nurse,but I play one at home! We adopted him and he's doing great.
    He loves the chickens,too.He has mental retardation and I love being able to share new things with him.
    Honestly,though,chickens are MY therapy.

9. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:He looked perfectly fine! I looked him over.I have given them the same sand and some cabbage as a treat before,but I removed it,just to be safe. There is nothing new in the coop.I just don't get it.I'm thinking airway,but he didn't seem to be struggling.He just laid down and died.[​IMG]

10. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Sounds like a heart defect possibly.
    Your son is a DOLL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by