What could have happened?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Oct 25, 2014.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, so I went to check my bator (as I do a hundred times a day to make sure the temp is good) and I notice this egg:

[​IMG]
    There's no mess, a slight ring in the turner's cup and no real bad smell...

[​IMG]
    The crack and separation went all the way around the egg.

[​IMG]
    When I started to peel it you could start to smell it, but it wasn't a normal rotten egg smell. It was as gross, just not the same. When I started peeling the membrane back I ended up with a bowl full of think yolk. No blood, no development at all. Just a thick smelly yolky egg with a small amount of white.

[​IMG]
    Now my temp has been holding pretty good. (I have 3 thermometers in there for accuracy.) I haven't had any major fluctuations. According to the meter my humidity is 45-50 (I won't vouch for it's accuracy, but I am keeping an eye on the air cells and they look pretty good to me.) The majority of developing eggs in there also look well to me. I'm just curious as to what happened with this one. I'm starting to doubt my ability to hatch eggs here. [​IMG]

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Looks like a bacteria infection. Your lucky the inner membrane held up and not just splattered all over the others.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Trust me, I was very thankful that the membrane was still intact. lol. I thought the same thing about being lucky!! Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by