What could have killed a chick that is in a cage?

Farmerwebb

Hatching
May 20, 2020
We have some chickens that are a few weeks old. We call them “teenagers” bc they are almost all feathered now. We had 5. This morning I went to feed them and there was one chicken that was dead. Her head was gone but her body was left. They are in a wire cage. I will show a pic. What could kill a chicken in a cage and only eat it’s head? Sorry... gross I know but seriously, I am stumped.
4CC78E12-E843-456C-AE0A-123C46A5E400.jpeg
190D5142-B4BD-4197-AD53-F8D17B5E8847.jpeg

Weasel, rats and any other critter small enough to fit through the openings. Might as well have been a racoon sticking his hands in to grab them.

Do not ever let caged animals stay outside at night or even for a longer period of time during the day.

Just imagine the horror they will experience with a fox or cat prowling around the cage... they might even die from shock.

We have some chickens that are a few weeks old. We call them “teenagers” bc they are almost all feathered now. We had 5. This morning I went to feed them and there was one chicken that was dead. Her head was gone but her body was left. They are in a wire cage. I will show a pic. What could kill a chicken in a cage and only eat it’s head? Sorry... gross I know but seriously, I am stumped. View attachment 2160966View attachment 2160967
A raccoon could stick it's hand in there and pull the little chick's head right through. Make sure the cage is inside the garage or coop at night time. I won't even put mine in a cage outside due to snakes, when they are small.

:welcome :frow My guesses would be the same as the others have posted. If you have a game camera, put it up because whatever it is, has probably been lurking looking for an opportunity when you least expect it and it will be back. Good luck...

Trick: Get a hammer and a couple of big nails and hang that cage on the side of the coop or a shed or the barn or whatever wooden building. Having the chicks up above ground while they are still small protects from predators and coccidiosis.

When they get really fully-feathered is the best time for them to go back on pasture.

They’re not quite there yet.

A raccoon could stick it's hand in there and pull the little chick's head right through. Make sure the cage is inside the garage or coop at night time. I won't even put mine in a cage outside due to snakes, when they are small.
ur profile picture looks like my chicken is it a silver laced wyanndotte?

Add Great-horned Owl to list with that exact type of cage.
One of my neighbors had a dozen broilers beheaded by an owl one night when he forgot to shut his coop. Owl will do that with the hopes of coming back for the next week or so for leftovers. At least with coons they've only ever taken enough to fill their belly at one time for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom