What could I be???

NaJaLeHa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Santa Clarita
I got this chicken and i was supposed to be a pullet wyondotte...and clearly doesnt look like a wyondotte...and now Im not even sure if its a pullet.
idunno.gif
Its about 17 weeks...any thoughts?

Hmmmm....it is hard to see her in the photos well as she is black and there is a lot of shadow.

I agree with the previous poster it is a hen and not a rooster. There is no indication of saddle feathers or other roosterish signs.

It doesn't look like a Black Sumatra to me though....I am not an expert on Sumatras....I only have a half Sumatra/EE hen...but she looks heavier built than a Sumatra...just not quite the body type....and her face/comb doesn't look to be the required purple/black (?)

Two of the photos look like she might have a bit of a beard/muff????

If that is the case she might be an Ameraucana or EE (if not standard for Ameraucana)....does she have a pea comb (too blurry in the photos for me to tell).

Like I said, I'm not an expert on Sumatras...she just doesn't quite fit my picture of one.

Lady of McCamley

Im not sure that its a Black Sumatra cause she is kinda thick, and as a chick she was solid black...it does have a bit of a

Sorry, my phone has a mind of its own. ... She does have a muff/beard... But no real comb or waddles... Just a bit pink...maybe she is an EE... I jut haven't seen any that were solid black

Sorry, my phone has a mind of its own. ... She does have a muff/beard... But no real comb or waddles... Just a bit pink...maybe she is an EE... I jut haven't seen any that were solid black
Ameraucanas come in solid black...that is one of the breed standard colors...and they won't have much comb at 17 weeks nor any wattles as a pullet (breed standard again)...however, if she is not 100% Ameraucana nor totally fits the standard, then she by default would be considered an EE.

With the beard/muff, she is definitely not a Sumatra....she could be a Sumatra/EE (like my bird) as many breeders will throw in some EE to bring color to their Sumatras...but she looks like she got far more of the Ameraucana/EE than any Sumatra.

Sumatras also should be small birds...and your girl looks like she is fairly good size...another indicator to me that she is EE/Ameraucana. My little Sumatra/EE is smaller...about 3/4 size of my average layer...not bantam...but not full sized.

Lady of McCamley

She's probably a Black Ameraucana or EE pullet.
X2. You can look at the bottom of her feet to see if she is an EE or ameraucana yellow= EE white=ameraucana. Everything seems to match for her to be an ameraucana, I can see she has slate legs just cant tell for sure that she doesnt have yellow skin

Back
Top Bottom