What could it be?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by two j farm, Jun 18, 2019.

1. two j farm

two j farm Crowing

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I have something killing chicks. I have about 40 chicks in a pen with 2 ducks. The ducks are the same age as the chicks. The chicks are 8 and 9 weeks old.

I found two polish chicks dead yesterday and then I found 1 Brahma dead tonight. Nothing is missing on them, no holes that I can find or anything. I found one Silver Leghorn in the yard dead today too. I have 9 week old puppies that had the little Leghorn. I'm not sure if they could be my problem or not because if they are I have no idea how they are getting in and out of the pen. All of they other chicks have been found in the pen dead. Any ideas would be great.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Could be coccidiosis??

Sorry for your loss. :( Have you taken any pictures? How about a pic of your set up? And what are you feeding?

3. two j farm

two j farm Crowing

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I have had coccidiosis in the past. All the chicks are healthy and fine, I feed medicated chick starter. And they have been vaccinated.

4. quackersandfern

quackersandfern Chirping

Sep 6, 2016
    West Palm Beach, FL
  5. two j farm

two j farm Crowing

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Today is my off day, so I'm going to do a good check on the pen and clean everything.

I have grown chickens that run the yard and I notices the puppies trying to "play" with them and chasing them. I'm really starting to think they may be my problem. Now I just have to see how they could be getting in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: