What could it have been?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wantmesomebirds2, Jul 19, 2019.

1. wantmesomebirds2

wantmesomebirds2 In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    Middle of Illinois
    Over two nights something or a group of somethings destroyed every poultry bird I had. The second night was the worst (Wednesday).

In two days I lost 30 (more or less) chickens, about 16 Muscovy ducks, and about 20 guineas.
    Hardly any feathers to be found (like in a struggle), only one body was found.

They all had shelter and were in it. The guineas were in the rafters of our barn. Even several of the ducks were up high (at least 10 or more feet) and most of the chickens were up high.

What in heavens name could it have been. I was awake Wednesday night and never heard barking so I don't think it was dogs, and no coyotes howling; nothing. Predator wise we have seen racoons, mink, hawks, and the neighbor has seen fox, but what would slaughter that many birds in just two nights and leave no signs that the 'killers' had been here?

2. slejdad

slejdad Songster

Apr 24, 2019
    Whaleyville (Suffolk) Va
    I have no idea, :confused: Curious what others will say:pop Oh. and I am so very sorry to hear this happened!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Wow, that's terrible! I don't have an answer for you, but I'm so sorry for your losses. What area are you in? How long have you had birds? And would you post pics of your setups, that might help give us clues to solving this mystery.

Sequel likes this.
  4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Crowing

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Fox more than likely.They will kill 30+ birds fast and store them else where for later eating,

WthrLady likes this.
  5. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Could a fox get up high where OP says the guineas and ducks were roosting?

Trish1974 likes this.
  6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Crowing

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

The birds probably started flying bat crazy when the fox came in.There not smart enough to know to stay on the roost.

7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    Are gray fox common in your area... @roosterhavoc was telling be about how grays will push chickens from trees then hunt them down on the ground at night... he was talking about free range... but in a barn I suspect it might have turned into a ‘fish in a barrel’ situation... where a lot of frenzied flapping triggered the critter(s) to keep on killing...

Could have been a troop of coons too though...

8. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Crossing the Road

Jan 5, 2012
    Probably a red fox with young. They chase em out and have all night long to pick them up one by one in the dark. Red fox will chase scare them down off of a perch. Once down the fox has plenty of time to collect them up since most freeze in place after awhile.

WthrLady, slejdad and OhZark Biddies like this.
  9. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Crossing the Road

Jan 5, 2012
    Reds and grays will do it. I’ve seen a red half way up a tree and grays are known climbers.

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  10. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I ha e a few possible creatures that could have done this but I would have thought that when 1 bird got cought or killed then the others would have gone mental

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: