1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What could my 16 month old Delaware Hen have??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freerange4hens, Oct 16, 2013.

1. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    So maybe someone can help me. I have posted a few times with video's but I can't seem to get any responses and I am really concerned about her and the other 2 I have..

It all started with Molting.. I believe that's what it is since I don't see mites or lice on her.

She is extremely thin. Seems to be eating certain foods, not really into food all that much though. Not really drinking a whole lot either

Poop looks white and watery

Clear eyes and beak. Red comb and no scaly or cuts on feet or legs.

No bumps or tumors

She seems to run fine (when she does if she gets scared) but walking is slow, and way low to the ground.

Really tired except with eating, not forging the yard like usual. Just staying in the same place.

At times, falling over when standing or struggling to keep her balance.

Is there anything I can give her to help her feel better? Any ideas when she could have?

Thank you in advance!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well there could be any number of things wrong with her, the potential list is long. My first question would be if these birds have ever been dewormed? If not, that is where I'd start and go on from there.

3. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Well only the one is acting this way, the other two just seem fine, but won't leave her side. I have not dewormed them since I have had them . I received them when they were just 2 days old. They were vaccinated before I got them and was on a medicated chick feed for the first few weeks in my care, but other than that they have not been treated for anything. She also hasn't laid in a few weeks..

4. cafarmgirl

Since they've never been dewormed and she has also lost weight I would start by deworming all of them. Chickens get all kinds of worms and if they are carrying a heavy load it will just keep bringing them down until they just die. I'd deworm them all with Valbazen since it's extremely effective as well as very safe. It works over a period of days rather then killing off a big load of worms all at once which can result in toxicity to the bird. You need to do a repeat in 10 days to kill off anything that hatches in the interval since wormers don't kill worm eggs. The dose is 1/2 cc orally for standard size birds.

That would at least be a place to start with her. If you see no improvement then you'll have to consider other issues of course but you need a place to start and it's best to start with the easiest and most obvious possibilities first. Chickens do get tumors, cancers, egg laying/reproductive tract issues and much more but I'd start by ruling out the parasite possibility first and go from there.

5. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you I will go get the dewormer for TSC today. I was just there yesterday and saw it on the shelf, but didn't buy it since the directions didn't look all that simple and she wasn't this bad off yesterday.

It was in a white bottle with blue lettering and liquid form... Do I just give it to her straight at 1/2cc and through a syringe? If you wouldn't mind telling me exact instructions on how to do it it would help me out a lot! THANK YOU and fingers crossed it helps.

6. cafarmgirl

White bottle with blue lettering sounds more like Wazine. I can't post a pic at the moment either. I know Casportpony has great pic's of all these products! But anyway, just look for the Valbazen, my TSC doesn't always have it and I usually order it on-line.

Yes, I use a one ml diabetic syringe, no needle of course, and dose each bird orally, .5 ml or 1/2 cc, same thing. They don't like it and it's best if you have a helper to hold the chicken while you deliver the dewormer.

You might also pic up some electrolytes, like Save-A-Chick while your there and put that in her water, or some NutriDrench vitamins. I like the Save-A-Chick because it really seems to perk them up and get them drinking and keep them hydrated.

Good luck, hope you are able to get her sorted out.

7. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you very much again for your help. I will search the web for the dewormer, hopefully it gets here fast! I do give them Rooster Booster with vitamins and electrolytes in their water every day. So that should be ok?

Thank you again!

8. cafarmgirl

Your very welcome, I know how frustrating it is when we have to try to figure out these birds sometimes! All you can do is try.

Yeah it sounds like your good in the vitamin dept! Got my last bottle of Valbazen off of Amazon with two day shipping.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

http://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen/camid/LIV/cp/16387/

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by