What could these possibly be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wig, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Wig

Wig New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    Okay, so a fellow farmer was selling some chickens, so I decided to pickup a few. First time raising anything that breathes. Anyway, I'm cluless about which breeds (and genders) these chickens are and I was wondering if I could get some help.

Nicole, a (crowing?) chicken who's been with us for about 3 months so far. Any idea on breed?
    [​IMG]

Boston, a skittish little chicken that likes to roost on high places. Unfortunately, she likes to peck at whoever she sees. (probably a cockeral as well.)
    [​IMG]

Tony, probably a cockeral considering he can be a little aggressive and his early comb. I'm assuming this one is a Black Orpington. *crosses fingers*
    [​IMG]

Fudge is on the left, right by Tony. I'm seriously hoping this is a pullet because one illegal cockeral is enough.
    [​IMG]

Here’s Muffin. (S)he’s the nicest out of all the chickens I own.
    [​IMG]

Please and thank you.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know any of the breeds. Maybe when they grow up more. Muffin sure is cute.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes, post some more pics on this thread in a couple of weeks. Boston looks like he has a little Polish in him.

4. Wig

Wig New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    Ah, okay. I'll wait awhile for the younger chickens, but is Nicole seriously too young? I'm assuming the picture's not really good, so here's a bigger (and better) one.

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tony is not a black Orpington. Wrong body shape and comb. Plus, it would be rare to find a local farmer who has Black Orpingtons anyway. The poufy headed one could have Polish or Silkie in it. I have three whose daddy was a Cochin/Silkie cross with Barred Rock mothers and they all have the pouf.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by