What could this be? Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aqha4me, Jun 21, 2016.

1. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    I have a 10 week old Swedish Flower Hen pullet that has been acting "off" the past few days. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions for me.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Swedish Flower Hen pullet; 10 weeks old; 1 pound, 11.8 ounces; She's always been one of the larger birds from this hatch and is, of course, my favorite chick

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She seems somewhat uncoordinated. She remains upright and walks, but prefers to sit on her hocks or lie down more than her coop-mates. When walking, she seems to take smaller, slightly unsteady, steps. I observed her pretty much fall off the roost. She tried to hang on using her beak and legs, but couldn't. When letting her down from about 6" up she doesn't land very steadily and needs to put her wings out, and down, for stability. At first, I wondered if she was having some trouble seeing, but both pupils are equal, reactive, have good color and uniform shape (plus, she seems to see fine when the mealworms came out).

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a few days, but I did not really start to get concerned until today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? She is the only one acting "off"

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Can not think of anything

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes. She has been eating and drinking, though when she eats she seems to prefer to eat from what has spilled on the ground as opposed to eating from the hanging feeder, though I have seen her peck in the hanging feeder a little bit.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Unsure. Her backside is very clean, so I am assuming it is fairly normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I've just been observing her to try and rule things out, but I have not tried anything at this point.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Hoping to treat myself, or cull if I have to.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. n/a

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - She is in a grow out pen with 8 other Swedish flower hens from the same hatch; pine shavings with PDZ on poop board

13. Feed - medicated chick feed, chick grit, and some dried mealworms

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Any ideas? This morning she stood up as I entered the coop, then laid back down. She then walked over to the coop door and laid back down again. I have separated her from the others. She is still eating and drinking.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Hopefully, it is just a a vitamin deficiency, but Mareks symptoms can show up at this age. I would start giving her some poultry vitamins containing riboflavin (vitamin B 2) right away. Read the article "The Great Big Giant Mareks Faq" to get information by doing a search at the top of this page.

4. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, she was not vaccinated. I got her from a smaller breeder who did not offer Mareks and by time they arrived here, we were passed the 36 hour mark so I figured it did not make sense based on what I had read.

I have Gro-Gel Plus B, Sav-A-Chick and Chick Probiotics I can offer her. I was also thinking about getting some B complex pills and doing a probiotic mash.

5. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Sorry. Forgot to quote you above so I did so here so you would see it.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know if the vitamins help or you notice any new symptoms. If you should lose her at some point, it would help to send her refrigerated body to your state vet or local poultry college for a necropsy. I have had a few rare breed chickens, and in my opinion, it just seems like there can be more problems with their health due to the smaller gene pool. I hope she recovers well.

7. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    How likely is it to be a vitamin deficiency at 10 weeks old? Once I start giving the vitamins, how soon should I see a difference? Of course this weekend just happens to be the weekend we are supposed to be going away on a family vacation, so if I need to put her out of her misery, I really need to make the call by then.

I would love to send her body to our state vet, but at $210 plus overnight shipping, the cost is quite steep.

8. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    I gave her Gro-Gel Plus B, Sav-A-Chick Probiotics and Electrolytes. I also gave her a dose of a liquid B-Complex vitamin. She continues to eat and drink though she tends to do so from a laying down position. When laying down, both legs are directly under her. Poop looks normal. She continues to walk around, though she remains a bit clumsy and does not stand for very long. When I approach or call to her she does stand up, only to lie back down a minute later. Her eyes still look good, though I should mention that her wings are droopy. They were droopy yesterday but I forgot to mention that.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

9. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Hey there!

You should take a look at PoultryDVM's Chicken Symptom Checker tool, it sounds like it might help you narrow down the possibilities...

10. aqha4me

aqha4me Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Do you happen to have the link? I am having problems finding it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by