what could this be? Is it just a cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa202, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I found my bantam cochin outside of the coup, after all the chickens had gone in to roost. It was dark, freezing and she was under the coup all puffed up. The coup is heated (with a heat lamp) so she obviously was too weak or sick to go into the coup with the rest of them. her eyes were closed and puffy (with a little red in the corners). Her face is reddish and she's all puffed up. I brought her in and she ate some scrambled egg. I'm keeping her inside for now. Thinking back, I have noticed that she's been puffed up lately (I figured she just didn't like the cold) and was mostly hanging out under the heat lamp in the coup for the past 2 weeks.

I have a cold remedy. I put a drop or 2 on her food and she ate it and I swiped a little on her nostrils.

Any suggestions of what this could be and if I'm doing the right thing?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old is she?

3. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    2-3 years old

4. ChickensAreSweet

Hmm do you think there is a respiratory component to it or is it just her eyes are a bit swollen?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/716771/swollen-face-eye
    see post #2

It sounds like from your description it isn't as bad as the link's picture, so I am not sure how to help.

Since she is puffed up and acting cold, and perhaps ill as well, it is best to consider coccidiosis as well as possibly a respiratory illness due to the swollen eyes. However, I am not sure what is wrong. It is possible that something is just irritating her eyes...I don't know.

Of course the problem may also be mites/lice/worms or any other problem which weakens a hen (or a bacteria/virus).

It may be worth trying some Corid to see if she gets better (fluffed up and cold, lethargic for two weeks).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    She's definitely not as bad as the picture in the link. I look at that link with all the diseases and symptoms, and a common red flag is nasal discharge, watery eyes and sneeze/coughing sounds...which she has none of.

I suppose I will treat this with the Vet Rx (treats colds, roup,scaley leg and eye worm) and see how she's doing in a couple days.

I've heard deworming a sick hen (when it's not worms) can be dangerous...is that true?

6. ChickensAreSweet

Yes the worming medication is very hard on chickens, and can kill a weak hen. I have lost chickens to worms and worm twice a year now. That solved a lot of my problems.

I am glad she doesn't look as sick as the pic in the link!!

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms/cocci/bacteria for a fee (but do call and find out if they will and how much does it cost, if interested). False negatives are possible on the worms test.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by