What could this be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by erinc, Jun 23, 2016.

1. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky
    [​IMG]

Our chick Henny Penny is about 12 weeks old and she is the smallest of the bunch. She hardly has any fetters other than the ones on her wings. Do you think she is getting pecked to pieces? Or she just is having a longer time growing in her feathers. Should we separate her until her feathers grow in? Please help!!

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Hard to tell from that picture but she looks younger then 12 weeks. She should have all her feather in by now. Is she eating and drinking okay?

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If she were getting pecked, she'd not have any fuzz either.

4. chick100

chick100 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Sorry to change the subject guys, but...
    Would like credible help please:
    I have 3 newly hatched chicks and one has curled toes. So in my panic to try to fix it...I used duct tape. Yes it was dumb...I know that now. But he/she can't walk at all like her little buddies can. So seeing that, I thought, why don't I take it off abd use masking tape, I mean it's lighter, right? So I took her out of the incubator and set to work and quickly realized that duct tape, stuck to itself, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. In the process her nail started to bleed a bit. What do I do? Do I take steps to take it off now? Or wait until her toes are straight, and then try? Help needed please!! And she just hatched this morning.

5. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky

She eats, drinks, and acts like a normal chicken. The other two we got when we got her are much larger. [​IMG]

6. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky
    We have had our flock since 3/30/16
    About 13 weeks

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    It seems like it's got a beard so it seems like an EE, it might be a Easter Egger Rooster, sometimes roosters take a longer time to feather out, although 13 weeks seems like a long time, so it might be just in his genes some sort of "defect".

8. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky

Would he be making "rooster" noises by now? If she/he were to be a rooster? We are not allowed to have a rooster where we leave. And when we bought her, they sold HER to us as a HER! But do you think it's something we should take the animal to the vet about?

9. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    It might still be a female, just like I said with something off in her genes that is causing her to feather out slowly. Do you have better pictures of her?
    How is she in weight compared to the other chicken her age?
    You can take her to the Vet see what they say. I would think it's just a rare gene mutation that is going on.
    I've had roosters of mine not get all feathered out until they were 10 weeks old.

10. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We bought them the same day, same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by