What could this be?

ajroth166

Chirping
Apr 19, 2018
So I was out checking on my flock and looking closely at them bc I was evaluating the injured after a brutal massacre by some predator last night. I came across this guy and I’m not sure what it is. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Feels liquidy, and soft to push on and not hard.

Attachments

• 89455FA1-E6DB-4FFC-99E5-D4DE15FB8BE8.jpeg
    89455FA1-E6DB-4FFC-99E5-D4DE15FB8BE8.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 12
  • 3E442DE9-9FAE-476E-8A67-C106143E0113.jpeg
    3E442DE9-9FAE-476E-8A67-C106143E0113.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 0DB7BCE8-8E19-4BDF-BFB6-6C2428D64C21.jpeg
    0DB7BCE8-8E19-4BDF-BFB6-6C2428D64C21.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 11
So I was out checking on my flock and looking closely at them bc I was evaluating the injured after a brutal massacre by some predator last night. I came across this guy and I’m not sure what it is. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Feels liquidy, and soft to push on and not hard.
Looks like he ate a lot and has a full crop.

I agree with Rose. Leave him in the coop at night and check again in the morning before you feed. If it went down, it’s just his crop which might be in a weird place because of all the food.

I know my bow-ties look like they have tumors after eating. Looks real weird.

How is the chick acting? Is he breathing okay or struggling? If he is not in any danger, I would leave it alone, and it should be re-absorded by the body. If he is having problems breathing, or it gets very large, you can stick a sterilized needle into the bubble and push out or withdraw the air with a syringe. Here is a video showing a robin with a leaking air sac having it deflated:

How is the chick acting? Is he breathing okay or struggling? If he is not in any danger, I would leave it alone, and it should be re-absorded by the body. If he is having problems breathing, or it gets very large, you can stick a sterilized needle into the bubble and push out or withdraw the air with a syringe. Here is a video showing a robin with a leaking air sac having it deflated:

Shes acting totally normal and not like anything is wrong at all. It was one that had gotten pecked by another pullet earlier which is why it’s got some feathers missing. But they never broke skin or caused bleeding.

And it’s more up at the shoulder area by the side of the neck, not so much under the wing or at the breast area where those two videos show. Also probably the size of a medium bouncy ball.

Here is a diagram of the location of air sacs in birds, and chickens are similar. Any bumping or trauma can cause a leaking or ruptured air sac. I would just watch it, and hopefully, there won’t be a need to needle it. If you have the time, it would be good to shop for a few 10 ml syringes with 18 gauge needles at your feed or farm store, in case you have a need for them.
upload_2019-7-18_16-29-33.jpeg

Here is a diagram of the location of air sacs in birds, and chickens are similar. Any bumping or trauma can cause a leaking or ruptured air sac. I would just watch it, and hopefully, there won’t be a need to needle it. If you have the time, it would be good to shop for a few 10 ml syringes with 18 gauge needles at your feed or farm store, in case you have a need for them. View attachment 1848975

Awesome! Thank you so much!! I didn’t know that they had so many!

Back
Top Bottom