1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What could this have been?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arztwolf, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Last Thursday I bought a Partridge Chanticleer from a local feed store. She was happy and healthy for the first day and a half, but went downhill Friday night and died Saturday morning. The only symptoms I saw where loud, continuous chirruping for several hours and her eyes where shut. No secretions, bumps, breathing issues and her poop looked normal. She was eating and drinking up till her death.

On Saturday along with 6 other chicks of different breeds, I got another PC. This one lasted two days longer then the last, but she ended up dying in my hands last night. She also did the chirruping and kept her eyes closed. She too was acting normal but for those two symptoms.

All the other chicks are fine and growing bigger by the day, so I don't think it was a contagious infection. From what I could see both where in good condition and appeared alert until their final hours. They where on MannaPro Organic Starter 19% Crumbles and had access to water at all times. The room (my room) they where in was kept as hot as possible (it's the warmest room in the house and the others are active and running around, so they aren't cold). They also have a big stuffed chicken suspended from the top of their cage they can huddle under (that's where they sleep at night), both the PCs never acted cold. They had been kept with a different breed (Cuckoo Marans) at the store and my Cuckoo Maran is fine. There also weren't any sick or sick looking chicks in the bin. None of my grown chickens have shown signs of anything (they are kept separate and have no chance of contact, chicks are in the house and I always wash my hands before and after handling them). I saw no obvious signs of parasites (internal or external).

Both chicks came from the same feed store, same bin and same shipment. They where from Ideal.

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How old are the chicks? Do you have them under a heat lamp? Chicks need temps of 95*F for their first week and then reduce temp by 5* each week after that.

3. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    They came with some small feathers on their wings, probably not helpful.
    I have their lamp at 90 and they are not under it right now (can go under if they need to, they're busy walking around and pecking at things right now)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by