What could've gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Dec 28, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    My last hatch I got 20/25. This time things don't look so good. So far only 4/32. I candled on day 16 and things looked ok. I have four breeds in the incu and only 2 EE and 2 friz have hatched. Others have started and quit or so it would seem.

I did switch 13 to a still air 1602N and some have pipped but still no chicks. Mostly Dels and I know they were fertile. One did pip and looked like it was "leaking" but on inspection there was a live chick. Nothing since.

In the Gen 1588 which was running low compared to the last hatch there are 4/19. A few pips but nothing. Today would be day 21.

The thing is I have Dels, friz, EE's and bantam Brown leghorns. Only 2 Ee's and 2 frz's have hatched. I would expect some Dels to hatch and the leghorns too. I know their fertile.

So what could be the problem?. Last hatch i did set the eggs up in a carton, but didn't this time cuz I thought some had a hard time getting out. 5 of the 25 had to be culled.

The incu did have some problems in that it made a funny sound like a revving engine, like it was straining, kinda like a car that sounds like it's going to stall. I did call the GQF folks and they sent me stuff but I was in the middle of this hatch and I've had hatches run low before and I got better hatches than this time.

Hum was ok. What causes chicks to quit when pipping? Eggs I got it's the time and monitoring.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If your temps were possibly a little low, they might just be developing a little slower than usual. I would definitely wait a few more days before calling final numbers on this.

As to pipping and then dying, i think the most common cause of this is high humidity which causes water to collect in the air sac, drowning the chick when it pips. Or that's what i've read.

Those are just a couple of thoughts. I'm no expert. [​IMG]

3. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be looking for you next post. Good luck!

Richard

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If today is day 21, be patient. You may still get more hatched.
    Have you ever seen this?
    Hatchability Problem Analysis
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I haven't seen it, but so far 20/32 with a couple more working on it. I like to try to wait the three days they can go with out eating to give the stragglers more time. Unfortunately they aren't like muffins, they don't all cook at the same speed. [​IMG]

Thanks

Rancher

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got 21 in the brooder and three working in the incu. I'll leave them till tomorrow. [​IMG]

rancher

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

21 new chickies, or even more! [​IMG] WOOOO HOOOO ! I hope there are lots of Delaware pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by