What crested breed is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tamsflock, Nov 13, 2008.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Hi I am new to the site and pretty new to chickens. They are 7 weeks old most are what I believe to be non bearded polish. I bought them from ideal poultry as a crested special this is ia list of what they could be according to the website.Crevecoeurs, Mottled Houdans, Sultans and Black Crested White, Buff Laced, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, White Crested Blue Polish and White Crested Black Polish, These (3) 2 redish look to be the same and 1 yellowish have me puzzled any ideas?
    Are they roos?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Looks like a young gold laced polish to me (the one at the drinker). I'm not a expert by any means on the top hat breeds but I'm sure someone who is will see your post and correct me if I am mistaken [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    The first two pics look like a Brabanter or Barbanter. There were some good pics on them awhile back. Neat looking birds. Try the search. The others I don't know for sure maybe houdans? How are their temperments?

4. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    The first two pics look like a Brabanter or Barbanter. I don't think Ideal carries that bird and it isn't one they have that mine might be.
    Picture #1 and#4 are the same bird I think a roo of whar breed? Picture #3 is one that looks like the first bird.Picture #2 and #5 is the same bird more of a yellow color but no clue what it is. Any more guesses???

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Sorry, but I did not read your post as closely as I thought the first time.

6. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Oh that is fine MrandMrschicken. I just was wondering if they are even any of the names they have listed as a possibility. Thanks for the try!! Could a hatchery give you a crossbreed??

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    They do carry gold brabanters at Ideal, they're in the white egg layers section . . . so it is possible that's what they are. I don't think they always list all the possible breeds you could get when you order the specials, but I could be wrong.

8. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    So do you think the bird in picture 2 could be a brabanters? Or both birds? The top hat is just different then the polish and the color isn't a color they have listed for the polish.

9. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    what kind of combs do they have? it is kindof hard to tell from the angle. I saw the sultan in the last picture though1

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I couldn't say for sure what they are, but as far as coloring goes I've noticed Ideal's polish seem to be all jumbled up, color-wise. I got a few over the spring and I have yet to figure out what colors they're supposed to be based on the color variations their website claims to have. They could just be off colored polish. Or it could indeed be a cross . . . accidents like that can happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by