what crops to grow for most nutrition for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by annabelle08, Feb 20, 2017.

1. annabelle08

annabelle08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    what plants can I grow as fodder for my chickens that would be the most nutritious?

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I wondered the same thing, I was giving them kale until it died off for the winter. Now I find there are weeds growing in profusion that are very nutritious....do you have henbit? (named because chickens like it.)photo 1)...or purple dead-nettle? (named because it's a nettle but doesn't sting photo 2. ) These are easy to pull up by the handful. Here I was weeding my garden detesting these plants, and decided to google them, and discovered I had a wealth of free chicken fodder.... Their egg yolks are bright orange, and these are the only greens they are eating right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    White or red clover, wheat, barley, any of the brassica or cole plants, lettuce, spinnach, grass,

4. annabelle08

annabelle08 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you Sue T, I do have the dead-nettles, but wasn't sure they were good for them. I'll be picking those now. I did pull up some chickweed, but they weren't really crazy for them.

Thank you Lazy Gardener, I have been growing wheat grass which they eat, but not enthusiastically. I wanted to know so I could buy seed in bulk instead of paying 3-4$ for a little package.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I bought a 50# bag of feed wheat this fall for $12.50, and have been using that. It will easily last me all year, and should still be viable for next year's sprouting also, if I store it well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by