1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What crossed to make these chicks? Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marcym, Nov 28, 2010.

1. marcym

marcym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I hatched out some RIR's, but threw in a handful of mixed eggs to fill the bator. What could have crossed to make these chicks, because I want more! Roosters choices are a RIR, Barred Rock, and Buff Orpington. Hens are the same, plus red sex links, New Hampshire Reds, and two white rocks(?.) Is there any way to be sure?

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I forgot, I also have three SLW hens.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    SLW chicks have that chipmonk pattern on the back so my guess is that is the mom. As for who papa is....dunno, the pattern on the wing is very RIR but why that coloration of mostly white? Very well could be roos taking on the mama's base coat but I'm just throwing out a wild guess there.

I'm placing bets on RIR papa to SLW mom and those are young roos.

Any takers? [​IMG]

4. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    I'll take that bet, egghead. That mix would produce red sexlinks, with roos having that white color pattern. Very good guess!! I agree [​IMG]

5. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    So what color would the females be?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Anyone know if White Rocks have silver or gold genes? Because the top chick is silver, and carries a duckwing-esque pattern. So, it rules out the Barred Rock being the dad, to either, in fact.

I'd say the parents would be either White Rock hen or Silver Laced hen and either Buff Orp or Production red rooster. If you give photos once they've feathered I can tell you for sure. [​IMG]

That pattern is not a pattern laced birds like Wyandottes carry. There's a difference between chipmunk-like stripes and marbling like a silver laced bird. [​IMG] The pattern shown there is a duckwing or patridge color with a little columbian thrown in, which of course the Buff Orpington and Production Red would provide.

Either way, that silver baby (the first one) is a male. You've got sex linked chicks, so the silver one is a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by