What crosses are we? Faint siamese/pointed colored chicken? (Picture heavy!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NRML, Dec 1, 2013.

1. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi everyone--A few weeks ago I picked up nine chicks of unknown breeds. My best guess would be EE/Barred Rock crosses for most of them? However, the light one that appears white in the photos has a soft smoky grey color to her feathers which I personally have never seen on a chicken before. The shading is darkest near her beak/comb and neck and fades out from there (although all of the shading is very faint). She has a dark beak and legs (they are greenish). If she was an animal with fur, I would call the color siamese/pointed. Unfortunately, all these guys are pretty flighty and she is particularly wild so I have not yet gotten a picture where you can see her color well. While she was dust bathing she permitted me taking photos of her but of course dust bathing is the worst time to see color on a chicken! Any ideas on any or all of these little ones? Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think the closest color would be called a splash, but she's not exactly. Thing is, when you mix breeds, you also get colors there's no name for. Considering the crew she's with, she could also have some "ghost barring", that doesn't show up well because her base color is so light.

3. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Thank you for the reply! I was thinking splash simply because she has a few random dark feathers, but I am total newbie to chicken colors (not to mention color genetics). That is interesting about the ghost barring... never had heard of that before (not surprising lol) but makes sense. Where I got them from there was another her color (actually, it had darker/more distinct "Siamese" points) but it was clearly a he so I passed. (Good thing too because the two nearly all white ones with some lacing are looking like boys to me!) Mutt chickens sure do come in array of colors so I am not surprised there are not names for them all ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by