What crosses Would I use to make Sex- links ? Common and Rare Also

cwc362

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Huntingdon- West Tn
Since the demand for laying hens is increasing everywhere it seems- Would like to have some info on various crosses to make sex-links. For instance Barred Rock Rooster on a Rir = What?
One guy at the flea market had put a Rir Roo on Delaware hens - The result was White looking chicks = males and the Reddish chicks = females. Or so he said- Would like more input on this so I can write some of this stuff down in my "chicken Notebook" Would also like to hear from those who have done crosses with rarer breeds also. All info and input appreciated!!

Thanks , So If I cross slw x glw - The daughters will be gold and the sons silver- or did I get it turned around bass ackwards?
idunno.gif
lol.png

Quote:
I hope he doesn't say some of the other things I say!!
gig.gif

Oh and I don't know the answer to your question- Even though I have had chickens on and off all my life- The genetics and information about a lot of the breeds I don't have. Maybe somebody else will jump in with that info- In fact I started a "chicken notebook" to write down some of this stuff!!!
tongue.png

and BTW - I would so love to visit Colorado some day- But not when it's cold !!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like the crazy weather around here- Sometimes here in Tennessee it goes from one extreme to TORNADOES!!! My mother and my sister have both had their homes destroyed in the last few years.
ep.gif

but luckily no one was hurt-

Last edited:
A friend of mine makes her own Black Sexlinks by crossing her Buckeye roo over cockoo Maran and Barred Rock hens.

The chicks all have peacombs and are colour sexable, perfect for areas with cold winters.

Almost anything crossed with barred hens. I have had these with several different roosters. Easter Egger, Cochin/Silkie, Silver Phoenix roosters over BR hens yielded lovely results. All males were barred, females black, except the EE's daughters, Iris and Hazel, which are now owned by rooster-red. They got beautiful spangling, just gorgeous girls.

My Blue Orp roo over Buff Brahma gave me solid blue or black hens and blue or black cockerel with lots of gold in the wings and back and chest areas. All had pea combs and most had feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom