What dýou reckon this is, then?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by livininbrazil, Jan 17, 2013.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I got some more chicks from a supplier that gets chicks from a hatchery. It´s no good relating the breed names he uses, as they don´t make sense...(for example, here the Delaware is called Canadense, there´s one in my avatar), so I got these other chicks from him...(.he gets a mixed batch of about 4 breeds every week: "Canadense" (Del), "Pescoço pelado" (Naked Neck,) "Carijó" ( Barred Rock ) and these others)....Half of them were yellowish with grey feathers starting, the other half reddish, with grey feathers starting, they look wheaten to me, the blue/grey is supposed to be the Canadense (Del), but obviously aren´t pure Dels. Does anyone have an opinion on the possibilities? They´re very pretty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. livininbrazil

This is a pic of the previous youngsters I got if it´s any use, prob from the same source, the second from left is very much like a Del, but the others sem to be very pretty mixes?
    [​IMG]

3. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Don't know, but I want one :)

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what was the name given to you and what part of the world are you from? from what can can see that is portuese...but really at this point in time they are to young to really tell what they are

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I'm a gonna guess that the OP's handle is LivininBrazil, so they are probably in Brazil[​IMG]

They are very cute little ones and I have no input about breeds, however I would also love to know what they are called in Portuguese!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    could be but still safe to ask and make sure [​IMG]

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    heres what i got for these
    Canadense meant candian [​IMG]
    "Pescoço pelado" did mean necked neck
    "Carijó" this one had no translation...

8. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    When I put Carijo in the translator this is what I got (had a picture of a barred rooster alongside) :
    Carijó: coming from white - mestizo, like chicken feathers flecked with white and black - hillbilly - former name of the Guarani Indian tribe, inhabiting the region between the Patos Lagoon (RS) and Cananéia (SP) - karyotype - banking sector - cariboca - curiboca caburá - Tapuio.
    Source: San Francisco Gate

Cant wait to see what the mystery chicks were labeled as!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  9. livininbrazil

Love the replies, you guys are so funny. Livin´in Brazil does kind of give it away, doesn´t it? [​IMG]

Quick history...I´m English, moved to São Paulo 5 years ago, too crazy there, now live in the countryside with a couple of acres of land and a stream at the bottom...

So, here it seems we have a Delaware of sorts, typically hatchery, as they have a lot of smut, but are Delaware in every other way. These are the "Canadense", but goodness knows why they have that name. I suppose it comes from north of Brazil! Or maybe they were imported form there, I don´t know, nor does anyone else it seems. They´re not easy to come by.
    The naked necks are all over the place, as are Ameraucanas and Araucanas, of course.Little tiny bantam versions, no butt) And indian-types are all over the road, too!!
    I also have Red-stars which they call "Rhodias" (RIRs, obviously, but they´re not), And white birds bred for meat, 50 days of life, which they call Warren! .They look like white rocks. So you can see there´s a little bit of confusion here.
    So, the carijó is barred, yes, and seems to be the barred rock, although they also use the term to refer to anything with bars (except for alcoholic ones, of course!) I also have have some´carijó muscovy ducks, for example. These barred birds don´t look like Dominiques or Marans. The Brahmas are actually called Brahmas! There are a number of other recognised breeds, too, with a brazilian twist to the names. (to say the name nearly right they have to spell it wrong)

But, I´m a little stumped over these very pretty apparently wheaten or blue-wheaten chicks that he also calls ´canadense´ which I´ve figured out really refers to the Delaware. These are similar in nature to the Delawares, also meaty chicks, but don´t look anything like, obviously. I´ve never seen Marans advertised here,let alone Wheaten marans, and they can´t be wheaten Ameraucanas as they don´t have the characteristics. What else may they be do you think? Thanks so much for your interest.

10. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Sounds pretty much like you moved to paradise!

I had a couple of thoughts about the name and also strategy to figure out what these are.

Unless I am mistaken, Canadense means Canadian. It could refer to this breed having been imported from Canada originally, or that the breed is a Canadian breed. The only breed of chicken I know of that is of Canadian origin is the Chantacler. Normally these guys are white, but they have a buff and a partridge variety (they also have cushion combs, which your do not). Is it remotely possible that all of the chicks you have are Canadense and that they imported all three varieties? As hatcheries seem to not be breeding for breed type, but rather for production perhaps they did not cull, cross-bred between colors or even introduced another breed to make their population better suited to the climate in Brazil. Just a wild thought.

Would it be possible to figure out which hatchery they came from and get pictures of the adult chicken varieties they offer?

You may not get an answer to your question until your little ones get their adult plumage. Now I'm hooked. Please do continue to update as they grow! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by