What day am I on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bettacreek, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, I got my eggs (coturnix quail) on Wednesday, and set them later that night, unfortunately, my incubator (which had been test run for DAYS beforehand) decided that it didn't want to work properly, and it took me almost an entire day to get the temperature up, but it never was below 84F. So, should I start counting the days once it got up to the correct temperature, or should I start counting the days from when I actually put them in? I candled last night and I did see some scant veining in some of them.

2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    If I read somewhere correctly, if the temp is over 70 degrees, then the incubation has begun. Even though the temp was too low, it just takes them longer to develope. I'm sure a pro will have better information. [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I agree with farm frenzy i bet those eggs started to split or whatever the embryo cells do once stimulated. Least I would...just possibly expect them to hatch a day or two later because they may not be ready juuuust yet at 18 days. [​IMG] But they may surprise you because some have had them hatch on day 15,16,17 [​IMG]

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thanks guys. When should I stop turning and bump humidity on them then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by