What day am I on?

JanieMarie

Songster
14 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Georgetown, Minnesota
So thought I'd try hatching eggs under a broody. She's been broody for 2 weeks so I thought I'd put her to good use - bad idea as it turned out. I put 7 buff sussex eggs under her on Tues. For 3 days I never saw her off the nest at all! Then on Fri she was out in the yard and I had to go out to the combine (wheat). Figured she'd go back to the nest but when I got home about 9:30 and did chores she was on a different nest and the eggs were ice cold! Brought them in and put them in the bator. I didn't candle that night but I candled tonight and I have 6 of the 7 showing growth! So do you spose I should start counting from Tues or Friday? Or maybe split the difference? Just wondering when I should stop turning them. If stopping turning too early would do more damage than stopping turning too close to hatch? Any opinions are welcome. With my luck there will be some that took from the start and some that took when they went in the bator! And that silly hen is still happily setting on her empty nest!
lol.png

If you put the eggs under her in the morning or earlu afternoon, go with Tues as day 1 if you put them under her in the late afternoon or evening, count Wed as day 1.

The thing that confused me is that they were ice cold for most of Friday and I didn't expect any to grow so was thinking that maybe they didn't start developing til I put them in the bator? Could they have survived a day of cold after starting to develop?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom