What day do I start the 21 day countdown/incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ssimon, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ssimon

ssimon New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    I out my 8 eggs in the brinsea mini eco incubator on Thur July 22. Do I start the 21 day countdown from that Thursday or the next day. Im just confused as to whether we start from the minute we put them in or after the first 24 hrs(Friday). So will they be born on Thursday or Friday. I am also hand turning them. When do I stop turning. I have read conflicting info.
    Thanks so much
    I look forward to your replies
    Shannon

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    24 hours after setting = day 1 and you stop turning and lockdown on day 18. Thats always worked for me. Hope all goes well [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Eggs started on a Thursday should hatch on the third Thursday following if temperature was correct. Stop turning Monday evening (tonight).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. ssimon

ssimon New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks guys for your FAST reply. If I am reading correctly. You both have different opinions [​IMG]...I see it both ways this is why i am SO confused [​IMG] I thought the second I put them in I should start the countdown which would be Thurs. and my husband said the countdown would start the next day beginning with the first 24 hours of incubation. So i am still at a crossroads. I think my last turn will be about midnight tonight. I cant wait!! I have candled them all along and they all look fantastic. I just hope that I have a 8 silly chicks by the weekend.

5. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I used to count the days by the seconds: day 1 and 2hrs, 25 min and 10 seconds, on and on. At the end it really doesn't matter that much. If I am in the half the day ballpark, I am satisfied. My results are the same.

6. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Lol, every one seems to have different opinions either way, I'm sure it wouldn't matter if you locked down somewhere in the middle [​IMG]

7. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Quote:My silkie eggs aren't listening.....LOL. Put 36 in the bator on the 22nd of July....I have 6 pips right now!!! Guess I'd better go on lockdown [​IMG]

8. ssimon

ssimon New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks guys!! I will lock er' down tonight after my final turn.....so nervous =0)

9. ssimon

ssimon New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    HELP!!!!
    Ok my first chick came today most other eggs are showing signs! The one little guy is running around the incubator FUMBLING around all the other eggs they have all been moved a lot. the inncubator is a small Brinsea mini Eco so it is so small and tight in there. I feel like he cant stand. I have read that I cannot move him out until complelty dry AND that I will risk droppping humidity levels for the others. So do i let this little chick terrorize everyone elses hatching process. Can I slip him out QUICKLY once he is dry without risk to the others. Im not sure if risking the humidity OR risking him rocking all my eggs back and forth is worse.
    Thanks for your help
    Shannon

10. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    He should get steady on his feet and dry fairly soon just quickly take him out and put in the brooder. Congratulations [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by