1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What day do the embryos start generating their own heat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seventreesfarm, Sep 26, 2012.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'm on day 11 and my stats went from 99.1 and 44% this morning to 99.7 and 30% just 8 hours later. Everything is usually fairly stable, so it seems odd.

-Joanna

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Temps vary highly, even 8 hours you'll lose lots of humity. My temps read a bit differnt almost every visit. As long as they stay 99-100, I'm good.

Its not about the embryos.

3. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Like I said, my temp and humidity has been pretty stable.

So...does anyone know about when the embryos start generating their own heat?
    I've found a few mentions online that they do, but not when :/

4. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Chickens begin creating their own heat from the moment of fertilization and yes, it does affect the temperature inside the incubator. However, to what degree is based on too many variables that are all different with every single hatch - so you'd never be able to put a blanket statement on how it affects the incubator's temp.

I don't want to get in trouble for citing all sorts of info that isn't mine - it's in the books I read. I suggest ALL of these.

Sources:
    Raising Chickens for Dummies
    A.B.C. of Poultry Raising
    Regarding Chickens: Essentials for the Flock Owner (DVD but I only watched half of it because my DVD/VCR combo kicked the bucket)
    A Guide To Better Hatching it's an "okay" book but not my favorite.
    Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks in Cities, Suburbs, and Other Small Spaces - hilarious book (I use this one when I need to laugh because all the other more important books stressed me out)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Thanks Chicky. I thought there was a certain point where the chicks were more in charge of their internal thermostat, but like you say, lots of variables. I read something about them being able to cope with a power loss later in the incubation cycle because of generating their own heat. Guess that all depends...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by