What day is lockdown on a goose egg

Pics

sowens824

Chirping
May 6, 2017
Harrisville WV
I would like to know what day is lockdown for my goose egg incubation day started on May 6 and I have been marking the dropping of the aircell which seems to be getting bigger as each day gets closer to hatch day. I already have a companion female goose that is a week old named her Lola for him or her and my aunt hatched out a gander and a goose yesterday (she plans to give me the gander in 3 months if I don't hatch one) but currently I am on day 23 thank you for the advice.

Lockdown for goose eggs will actually vary from egg to egg. Larger eggs tend to take longer to hatch. What I do is watch for dip down, when the air cell starts coming down the side of the egg, as that signals that the gosling is preparing to internally pip, and that's when I lock down. But, you can lock down on day 25 if you want. Stopping turning at that point will not harm the egg, and as long as it's lost enough weight there's no harm upping the humidity at that point either.

This is a chicken that is internally pipped, not a goose, but it will look very similar. You will see a moving shadow in the air cell that's fairly triangular in shape, and that's the beak.

Day 20.jpg

Have you read Pete's incubating and hatching guide for geese? It's a very great resource and walks you right through how to make a safety hole if you end up needing to.

I would like to know what day is lockdown for my goose egg incubation day started on May 6 and I have been marking the dropping of the aircell which seems to be getting bigger as each day gets closer to hatch day. I already have a companion female goose that is a week old named her Lola for him or her and my aunt hatched out a gander and a goose yesterday (she plans to give me the gander in 3 months if I don't hatch one) but currently I am on day 23 thank you for the advice.
This is Lola she is half African/Tolousse she is the same breed as the egg I am incubating she is such a sweetheart and is already used to me and the nieces we have

Attachments

• 20170526_164206.jpg
    20170526_164206.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom