What day to candle brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty_South_Chickens, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I have 22 brown eggs set and I'm day 8. I just tried candling but didn't see anything, now I'm using a homemade candler...any advice on what day is a good day for brown eggs.

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I had a recent hatch of brown eggs. I never could see veining in them. However when I candled them at day 14, I could see the chicks moving.

Deb

3. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    cool i'll try again in 6 days Thanks

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Get a more powerful light?

If you can't see through brown eggs, good luck ever doing any other color but white. [​IMG]

If your light source is good enough, day 8 is a good time to be able to see some veining amongst darkness, but if you get the light on the pointed tip or the side of the egg, you should be able to see bright orange/red shining at the pointed tip and very tip of the blunt end. A good light will get you to see a moving little chick with eyes and all too. A poor light should just get you the top/blunt end of the egg as a large dark mass though.

Day 4-7 with a good light, brown blue and green eggs should show some nice veining in a darker mass at the blunt end of the egg.

Day 7-14 should get very dark, but if you shine towards the pointed tip you should see the dark mass moving now and then. If the light is really nice, you'll still see veins.

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I usually candle mine on day 12 and on day 18 when I take the egg turner out. On day 12 I take out the non fertile eggs, if a egg has some "might be good" I leave it till day 18. On day 18 I remove all but the "For sure good" eggs. With brown eggs which is all I have ever used, it is very important to use a ""bright"" light in a dark room with NO light escaping around the egg. I use a Mag lite with a black spray can lid with a hole drilled in the center top of the lid with a step bit. The hole is drilled big enough that the egg drops down to about 1/3rd the way up the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by