What Delicious Fall Recipes Are You Cooking Right Now?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KatharinetheGr8, Oct 22, 2015.

1. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    Hello!

Fall is my very favorite season! The days are shorter, which means more time for evening bonfires! The temperatures are cooler, so I can stand to drag myself up a mountain for a hike, one of my favorite activities. And the cooler temps mean I don't mind turning on the oven for some long roasted recipes!

I've got onions caramelizing on the stove as we speak as the base to a butternut squash soup recipe I'm trying out. It just smells delicious! If it turns out, I'll share the recipe with you! But I'm always looking for new and fun recipes to try to in-season produce, so I implore you to share your recipes here! This should be fun!

Thanks!

Kate

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Yum! Sounds delicious! I like baking french bread. I also really love making applesauce and sweet potato rolls!

3. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    @Ameraucanas those all sound great! I make cheater french bread (I've posted my recipe on the Any Home Baker's Here thread) but I have never personally made applesauce. My grandparents make the best applesauce, and I understand that it is really easy. I'd love to try your sweet potato rolls! I've never tried anything like that.

Here's my recipe for the butternut squash soup. It is based on Alton Brown's recipe, but I add caramelized onion and more fresh ginger. It isn't soup to me without some onion in it!

[​IMG]

Butternut Squash Soup

2 large butternut squash, quartered and seeded
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
    1/8 cup of honey
    3 cups chicken broth
    ½ cup heavy cream
    More salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400◦. Arrange squash on baking sheet and bake until softened, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow to rest at room temperature until cook enough to handle, then cut the skin off of the squash.

Meanwhile, add the butter and onion to a Dutch oven or stock pot and cook over low until caramelized. Add the squash, ginger, honey, and broth to the pot and raise the temperature to medium. Simmer the squash until well softened, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10-20 minutes. Scoop the soup into a food processor, only filling the processor halfway. Process the soup until smooth. Pour into a heat proof bowl. Continue until all the soup has been processed. Return to the pan and stir in the heavy cream and return to a simmer. Allow to simmer 5 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I made applesauce for supper last night. I diced the apples, put just enough water to cover the bottom of my saucepan and dumped the apples in. A light sprinkle of salt, put the lid on and let cook on low for 15 min. I stirred it up, dumped in a tablespoon of cinnamon - oops, meant to only put in a teaspoon - so I added more apples and cooked it another 10 min. The apples were so sweet naturally that I added about 1 tablespoon of sugar to sweeten the cinnamon just a touch. Not a bad amount of sugar for all that cinnamon and about 10 cups of applesauce It was slightly chunky applesauce, but really, really good!

5. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    Alright. I'm definitely talked into applesauce. Next time I get some I'm going to do it. I had all intentions of making my chicken and biscuits for DH tonight. It is one of his favorite things that I cook for him. Well, my recipe calls for 4 carrots. When I was shopping yesterday I just knew I had a full bag of carrots in the fridge. When I went to start chopping today, there was only 1 carrot! I'm blaming it on some strange, spooky, Halloween-related incident instead of a brain malfunction on my part. [​IMG]

Anyway, here's my recipe for chicken and biscuits. It is adapted from one of Ina Garten's recipes. I use the chicken mixture for both chicken and biscuits and chicken pot pie. (Photo's from my now defunct blog.)

Chicken & Biscuits

2 medium-large onions, diced
    4 carrots, diced
    4 celery stalks, diced
    1 heaping tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
    1 stick of butter
    4 heaping tablespoons all purpose flour
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 cup whole milk
    2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
    2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    dash cayenne pepper
    dash smoked paprika
    1 dried bay leaf
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a large, deep skillet or dutch oven over medium heat until bubbling. Add vegetables and stir to coat in butter. Salt vegetables and cook until softened, 15-20 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2. Stir in minced thyme. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is absorbed; 2 minutes.

3. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, little by little to avoid lumps. Continue stirring until all of the stock is added. If you have a few lumps, keep stirring. They'll loosen! Have faith! Once your mixture is smooth, stir in the milk.

4. Stir in the shredded chicken, chicken bouillon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and the bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Taste, and salt and pepper accordingly.

[​IMG]

5. Turn the heat off under your pan and stir in the wine. Allow the mixture to cool for 1 hour and remove the bay leaf. Pour your chicken mixture into an oven safe baking dish.

6. Bake the chicken mixture without the biscuits on top 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

7. Meanwhile, prepare your biscuits.

Biscuit Topping (recipe from Epicurious)

3 cups Flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 sticks chilled butter
    1 cup buttermilk

Put dry ingredients into the basin of a large food processor. Pulse several times to incorporate ingredients. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the dry ingredients. Pulse until a dry crumb is formed. Add the buttermilk and pulse just until the dough comes together. I often need a little more than 1 cup so drizzle in additional teaspoons if your dough won't come together.

Pour the dough out of the food processor onto a floured surface. Flour the top, and form into a circle or square. Cut apart square biscuits or use biscuit cutters to form round biscuits. Place on top of the chicken mixture and cook an additional 30-40 minutes or until the chicken mixture is bubbling and the biscuits are browned.

COOK'S NOTE: Bake this recipe on a baking sheet in case the chicken mixture bubbles over the sides of your baking dish! This will save you from a mess in the bottom of your oven!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    K--that looks great! I've been craving chicken pot pie....

Oh, that same person that broke in and stole your carrots apparently broke in my house and stole a bunch of peanut butter cookies. I know I didn't eat that many [​IMG]

7. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC

Oh,it MUST be goblins stealing our food! I got out yesterday to get more carrots but I was busy finishing my chicken coop so I didn't get a chance to cook my chicken and biscuits. But today, I've cleared my schedule to make sure I can make the darn recipe!

8. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    Is anyone cooking October-fest kind of food? I made wienerschnitzel and cooked red cabbage a few weeks ago. What other fall foods are people cooking? Anything fun and spooky for Halloween?

9. KatharinetheGr8

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    So it appears that I'm about the only one who is excited about fall foods! I'm going to keep posting here till it catches on [​IMG]

Last night I cooked The Pioneer Woman's Frito Chili Pie for DH. He LOVED it. I think this would be just perfect for football tailgates or fall parties. It is portable and really easy.

I'm going to make a different recipe for butternut squash soup here in the next few days. When I get a recipe together I'll share it with you!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We're big fans of Ree, here. That's our kind of food--hot, brown, and a lot of it [​IMG]

It wasn't necessarily her recipe, but I remember talking about Frito pie once at work. One of my co-workers, a real back-woods type, had never heard of it. I asked her what kind of redneck she called herself, not ever having had Frito pie.....she laughed and said apparently not a good enough one. So I had to bring in Frito pie, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by