What determines the size of egg laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oregonkat, Aug 19, 2018.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    My adult hens, 1 - 3 years have been laying jumbo eggs pretty consistently for the past couple of months. These babies are weighing 65 - 71grams and I am getting them daily, not necessarily from the same hens everyday but daily eggs. They get Flock Raiser free choice all the time and I supplement with vegetable kitchen scraps and soldier fly larvae (occasionally). I am not complaining believe me, but I am wondering what is causing this?

2. I'd like to know too. I have two 6 year old anconas, and they each lay an egg maybe once every two weeks, but EVERY egg is either a double yolker or just a massive egg, they haven't laid a normal sized egg in probably a year now. They're fed the same as everyone else, Layena Omega 3 crumbles + free ranging.

3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    I believe it really comes down to genetics, but a healthy diet does help to insure they lay to thier max both in quality and quantity.

aart, oregonkat and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I'm putting it down to them being happy and healthy. They are making my egg customers very happy too! Thanks for the responses.

Chick-N-Fun and HuskerHens18 like this.
  5. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    In your case 6 year old hens are probably getting closer to the end on laying. The doubles are due to age (similar to humans the older a women is before getting pregnant the more likely they are to have twins) the larger size (not doubles) is possibly due the build up of energy from low production. That have more calcium and protein reserves four each egg becuase they are not producing every day.

6. Good to know, cool, thanks! :D:hugs

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  7. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Makes total sense!

Chick-N-Fun and HuskerHens18 like this.
  8. Corys chickens

Corys chickens Chirping

Aug 26, 2018
    Florida