What dewormer can I use on my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cutechick2010, Nov 17, 2010.

1. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had several of my birds this year just be "poor doers" and occasionally die for no apparent reason. So the latest one that had seemed fine to start with is a Russian Orloff cockerel, and since I was afraid I would lose him I brought him into the house to monitor. I discovered that he had mites, and dusted him for those.
    Then this evening when I was filling his waterer, I saw that he had passed a huge tangle of worms! I am honestly not sure what type they are, they are long and skinny and had a reddish color tint to them. I have no idea what wormer to use, and of course since I will need to do all my birds I need one that can be used on laying hens/meat birds with a reasonable withdrawal time on it.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you use wazine 17 if you've never wormed them before. Now you know why the others died. Dosage for wazine is one ounce per gallon of water, leave it out for 24 hours for them to drink. It must be their sole source of water for that 24 hours. Discard eggs for 14 days. Then follow up with a different broad spectrum wormer such as; valbazen,safeguard or ivermectin.

3. cutechick2010

Where can I get the Wazine 17?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Feed store or TSC should have it. While you're at it pick up some Safeguard paste, an equine wormer. You'll need it as a 2nd wormer to kill roundworm larva and other types of worms.

5. cutechick2010

I always have Safeguard on hand for my goats and rabbits, but I didn't know I could use it on the chickens. I saw another post that said you can use Valbazen on the chickens also. I had an issue with liver flukes with my goats this spring, is it possible the chickens could have picked those up too? I know the Valbazen kills those.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I dont know if the goat liver flukes are compatable to chickens...I do know that chickens can get them though. I recommend valbazen more than any other wormer just because it's that good and kills about all types of worms that chickens can get, including tapeworms and like you said...liver flukes. Dosage is orally...1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. There's a recommended 14 day egg withdrawal. Retreat in 10-14 days, another 14 days egg withdrawal. Edited to add; Dosage for safeguard equine paste is a "pea" size amount for each chicken. If you're using safeguard 10% liquid suspension goat wormer (how did I know lol) dosage for chickens is 3cc per gallon of water. Provide it to your chickens for 2 days and it must be their sole source of water to drink. Retreat either safeguard product in 10-14 days. Egg withdrawal is 14 days after the first worming and 14 days after the second worming. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by