1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did I do wrong? Lost a hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyingcloud, Jan 31, 2016.

1. flyingcloud

flyingcloud New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    So it happened our wildest flew the coop and was bit by neighbors dog. The injury was under her wing above her leg, and seemed minor. Washed it clean and placed antibiotic ointment on the wound and put her in a tub with food and water overnight. Checked the tub this morning and she is no longer with us. Was the wound too close to her vital organs (internal bleeding), or did I make a mistake not giving her light when recovering?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely the bite crushed one or more organs. It isn't usually just a superficial skin injury from a dog bite. There is usually internal damage.

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    And lots of nasty bacteria is injected below the surface of the skin with dog and cat and raccoon bites. Next time, I would give an injured chicken like this oral antibiotics in addition to the antibacterial ointment.

4. flyingcloud

flyingcloud New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. Time to build a higher fence around the coop so this doesn't happen again.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where are you located? Are the chickens locked in a secure building or run at night?
    A higher fence will likely keep chickens in and dogs out but won't help for other predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by