What did I do wrong?

hplowe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Newnan, GA
I had four 16 week old, Black Australorps (3 roos, 1 pullet), i purchased 4 Black Lanshan pullets, the same age and 4 RiR pullets about 12 weeks old. The guy said to put them all in the coop together for a week at the least for them to get a pecking order worked out and know where "home" is...

the week was ove a week ago, so we have been letting them out, this week, one at a time, the RiR's have died... any ideas?

That is so terrible! I am sorry for your loss.

Did they display any symptoms before they died? Can you think of anything they may have gotten into?

The first one played possum if the black ones came near it, but seemed fine, till we found it dead, the next 2 were just found dead in the pen, the 4th died soon after...

And now I found out my 91 yr old grandfather passed away last night, a bad way to start the week!

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your grandfather.

When you get new birds, they must be quarantined for a month before getting near your other birds to lower the possibility of passing disease from the new ones to the old ones. That said, just sudden death is not enough to go on for any diagnosis.

but these are the new birds... and the other black ones are fine, so did MY birds pass something on? Also, Quarantining, seperate coops or like 500ft away or how?

So sorry to hear your grandfather passed away!
Did you get all the chickens from the same person? Were they kept together with other breeds? maybe they were already sick when you got them. Birds, like some other animals often do not show that they are sick, it makes them vulnerable in the flock and to predators. I really don't know what happened, I am not experienced and there are too many possibilities I guess. I am not sure if a 30 day quarantine once you got them would have saved those four pullets but I think any new additions should be quarantined to make every effort to protect your existing birds.
As far as how to quarantine.....I don't think a certain distance is the ultimate answer.....I guess they should be kept in different housing far enough apart that there is absolutely no contact, no exchange of dishes, waterers and equipment and the caretaker(s) should wash hands and maybe change shoes to prevent cross contamination. Also, it may also help to care for the established chickens first and then the newcomers....you'd assume that your known flock is healthy. I always keep my "stuff" for my different geckos apart and wash hands between working with different terrariums. I guess that would work for chickens too......
hu.gif

Thank you... I will miss him! Yes, the RiR and Black Lankshans were kept in different open air "roofed pens" and there were a total of 20 different breeds... i guess they were sick prior to me getting them, they were his last 4 RiR's.

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

You said the one RIR played possum when the black one came around. Could they simply have been "stressed to death"? Somebody smarter than me might answert this.

Were they kept away from the food and water by the black ones? Or did they have mites? Were they generally healthy when you got them? Or were they a bit on the skimpy side?

I'm so sorry these birds have died -- it must be completely bewildering to simply not know.

All I've really done is raise more questions -- I wish I had better answers.

Jenny

Quote:
Thanks Jenny!

That is what i was trying to find out in another post, no one responded... Yes, the bigger ones kept them away from food/water, so I seperated them and fed them seperately. Dunno about mites... The seemed healty, but were smaller... they were 4 weeks younger so didn't think anything about it...

Trying to get in touch with the guy... no luck, he wants me to do a webpage for him so, he'll call
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom