What Did I Do Wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlockHappy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. FlockHappy

FlockHappy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've been reading the posts on BackYardChicken for some time now, trying to get help and increase my knowledge on chickens. I finally decided to join cuz I realize I have many questions to ask.

I just traded in my three Mallard ducks for 6 Dominique chicks. Years ago we hatched eleven bantams and raised them successfully with no problem. We never had to do anything but feed them, so I never knew that chickens sometimes need medication.

A few days after I had my six dominiques, (They're chicks, but they already had most of their feathers when I got them), I noticed the biggest one was acting sort of weird. She may have been the biggest, but she weighed the lightest. She was always so calm, and didn't get excited over the food like the rest of them. She spent most of her time all puffed up; and I noticed she would sleep all day. At first I thought she was just big and lazy, but then her condition got worse.

Whenever I'd wake her up, she would twirl around with her head cocked, like she couldn't control herself. She had a hard time getting enough food, cuz she was weak and the others were pushy. So I decided to isolate her and make sure she was eating right.

I wrote the man I got her from, and he said she might have worms or toxcitiosis. He suggested I give her tetroxy and told me that I should worm my chickens every four months. (Course, I never knew you were supposed to worm chickens. I thought only dogs and cats needed that...cuz our bantam flock never needed any help, and they were always healthy.)

So I went buy some tetroxy and wormer, and gave her tetroxy in her water. I never wormed her, cuz I was afraid of giving two medications at once. She seemed to get better. She stopped twirling around when she walked, and seemed a little stronger. She was eating good, and drinking, though she still was light and rather weak.

I thought for sure she'd get well; but yesterday, when I went to clean her crate, she was dead.

What could I have done wrong? Was I supposed to worm her right away?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    AWWW Im sorry..You I dont think did anything wrong ..I think you got sold sick birds. Did you have to travel a long distance to pick them up? How were the conditions where the chicks were being kept? Were they around older birds??

3. FlockHappy

Jan 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    It wasn't far, just about 20 minutes. They were kept in a little building in different wooden boxes with lights over them. On the other side of the building was birds that were a little older, but he couldn't put them outside cuz it was too cold...so he still had them in his "nursery".

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I am going to agree. I think there was something wrong with her when you got her.

I also doubt it was worms. I have never wormed my birds. I worm my horses regular but I don't even worm the dogs or cats unles their is a specific problem, although I know there are folks who put their animals on a maintenance schedule.

what is their stool like? does it look normal?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:did the chick look like that when you saw him??? whenever you go to buy chicks-really look them over for any signs of illness-do not take the breeders word that they are healthy. watch them walk around-whatch how they posture-watch if they are eating or drinking-so if they are on bottom of totem pole-check them for mites and lices etc...Maybe it was just a little too cold for that poor little guy...again Im so sorry maybe there was just something internally wrong with him you couldnt see? Sometimes it just happens:-( and Im sorry. Next time you go to buy birds, be very vigilent on inspecting them-look at their surroundings and the cleanliness-your gut should steer you in the right direction-sometimes even the best looking birds and environment can be decieving and the birds can still be sick but not show the warning signs. QUARANTINE all new birds for at least 30 days away from your flock-thats your best defense..Good luck I hope all your other babies grow big and healthy!!! You did nothing wrong [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  6. FlockHappy

Jan 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    It looked pretty normal. A couple times it looked different. Really dark, liquidy, and sticky like.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am new to raising chickens too. But I have to agree with everyone else. It sounds like you were sold sick chickens. I am so sorry for your loss.

8. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    could she have had a vitmain deficiency/wry neck perhaps? you say she would twirl around with her head cocked? did it look like she had no contol over her head?

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sorry you lost her...It sounds like she may have had coccidia, common illness in baby chicks. Thin, fluffed up, depression, are signs. Treatment is Corid or Sulmet. She had it when you got her..... I would dose the others to make sure. The cocked head often starts when the body is sucking all the nutrients from itself when it can't absorb it from the food. It leads to a vitamin loss, weak muscles.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by