what did i do wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by showjumper_girl2002, Aug 13, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    ok this is my first time hatching eggs. i have 8 scovy eggs incubating, all were fully developed by lockdown. on day one of lockdown 3 were moving. a day after due day 3 were still moving but no pips. now we're on 2 days late and i only see one kinda wobbling but still no pips. i really don't think they're going to hatch and i'm so frustrated and sad because everything looked like it was going great. [​IMG] so what could have happened? what did i do wrong? during incubation the temp never strayed from 99.5 and the humidity was always at 60%. during lockdown temp has stayed at 98.5 and humidity at 70% (my rcom 20 doesn't have a higher humidity setting, 70% is as high as i can set it). could it be that the humidity during lockdown was too low? i'm so sad that i haven't even had a pip from even one of them [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you did everything right. Sometimes these things just happen.

How many thermometers were you using... are you certain that the temps were correct?

3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'm pretty certain. i think the one is till wobbling a little. i went ahead and candled and the air sac is shaped differently, bigger and part of it looks like it's kinda going down one side of the egg. is that normal? i didn't see any beak or anything though.

4. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I've never candled during hatching time, I'm so afraid of damaging a chick. But I had a Barred Rock chick hatch 5 days late and the lucky chick came out fine! Good luck and don't give up hope!

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:thanks for the encouragement [​IMG] there still may be hope! i just noticed one of the eggs wobble that i haven't seen move in a day [​IMG] so that's two that are still moving! hopefully they're just late and will end up pipping soon [​IMG]

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Aren't muscovy's supposed to hatch later than most ducks or is that another breed??? I hope you get some babies soon, but these things happen to even the experienced hatchers. [​IMG]

7. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    You are actually having more notifications than I was. My eggs didn't even wiggle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by