1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did I get myself into?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MountainMamaHST, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MountainMamaHST

MountainMamaHST Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    So today at the poultry exchange I saw a little roo that I fell in love with. He appears to be a bantam Pheonix (I'll post a pic in a bit). I drove him home in my box I brought for silkies (none there!!!) and put him promptly in a holding cell (a dog crate that's decked out with feeder, waterer, roost, and soft bedding in our shed where our brooders are). Ummmmm, what the crap was I thinking?! [​IMG]I know NOTHING about roosters and NOTHING about Pheonixes! He has the prettiest crow though. Oh, I'm smitten by him! He even flogged me and I didn't care![​IMG]

Seriously though, I can't seem to find much on the boards about them so if anyone has any rooster advice, specifically Pheonix rooster advice, I'd love to have it! What would happen if you bred a banty pheonix with ameraucanas? Hmmmm. Maybe we'll find out?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    if you cross your phoenix with the silkies then you will hatch black skin phoenix looking chicks, something cool looking, and if you keep crossing those chicks back to phoenix you could end up with black skin phoenix that will look like Cool Ayam Cemanis...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. MountainMamaHST

Nov 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    The top of his comb is black and the back piece appears to be coming off! Is this frost bite or chicken fight? Should I do something?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    frost bite... its too cold

5. MountainMamaHST

Nov 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you! I just picked him up today so not my fault ;) lol. Our shed is about 40-50 degrees with the brooder lamps running even in the 20 degree weather we're having, so hopefully that will keep him warm and happy. Will it just fall off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by