1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Did I Get Tonight?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrwoodboat, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    A lady gave me 3 chickens tonight- I think all of them are Roos but not sure about one of them. I picked up a Dominque (sp?) and she said the other two were Americauna
    [​IMG]

These two shots are of the bird in question-
    [​IMG]

The other bird she said was an Americauna is dark bronze/brown with golden speckles- he is in the cage right now because he was getting after the other two roos. So, my question- is the lighter chicken a rooster Americauna or no- I was hoping it would be an EE hen but alas, no....

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The boy in the picture looks like an EE roo.

3. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Good- I have 1 EE hen but the rooster with her is long tailed and has some wicked long spurs- he is about the same color though...

4. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    this is my EE rooster that I have with my hen- I am starting to think it is not an EE due to the huge spurs he has and the long tail compared to the EE roo I got tonight-
    [​IMG] if you had to pick between the one at the top of the post and this guy, which one would you keep and why?

Here is the 3rd rooster I got tonight- she said it was an Araucana (sp?) but IDK...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry the pix are so poor- it is dark here and I was on the porch with them- this guy has the tufts on the side of his head but his comb sure is big for an EE or Aracauna, right? Of the 3, he is the most dominate even though they have been housed together, when I got them here, he went after the other 2's feet and feathers pretty hard....he will go in a coop by himself till I know what he is

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

That is definitely an Easter Egger rooster as well, he's just older. EE's are mutts so can look like just about anything.

I would pick the rooster who is nicest to the hens (i.e. does the dance for them and tidbits them with yummy treats). If they have about the same temperament, I would pick the new guy because his coloring is closer to splash and I love blue colored chickens (which you may get if you breed him to a black hen, though not sure of his genetics so it's a toss up).

That dark roo is definitely not an Araucana, it would have to have A LOT more specifications (rumpless, beard, possible tufts, pure black feathering). He is a mix, possibly EE crossed with Australorp or other dark-legged single-combed non-bearded breed.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the barred is not a dom. it has white legs instead of yellow. can you get a pic of him as well? the others are all ee's (all 3).

7. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    I will try to get some pix of him tonight- thinking he is a BR cross. I have a BR hen in my flock but she is with a pretty dominate Roo- he is nice to us but just will not tolerate another Rooster-
    I think I will keep the splash male EE and see if I can introduce him to my EE hens- my thinking is that the Roo I have in that coop with them has a lot of game chicken in him due to the 2 1/2" spurs he has (thank goodness he is friendly- you could nail 1x2's together with his spurs as nails)

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    could be a cuckoo marans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by