What did I get?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Got my order from My Pet Chicken today. I got at least 1 substitution. I'm a little disappointed b/c my main reasn for ordering was the Andalusians, and I am sure I didn't get 4 of those. I ordered 3 females, 1 male, plus 4 SR speckled Sussex, 4 SR Dark Cornish, and 4 SR Exchequor Leghorns. 1 of the smallest chipmunky chicks didn't make it, I think maybe a dark Cornish? Here are the pics. I said I would sub black copper marans, penedesencas/emporendesas, or anconas. What do you see? I think the big brown ones are the SS. Is there a way for me to tell if I got the EL's or if they're Anconas? I think I may have gotten a partridge Penedesenca subbed for one of my Andalusians. If that's what the less striped chick is, it's a boy according to the pics on Feathersite. [​IMG] I will be so incredibly disappointed if that is the case and I have 3 BA pullets.

Chick at 9:00. Is that a partridge Penedesenca?
    [​IMG]

Chick at the very top. Same coloring as the others I think are SS, but this one has spots instead of stripes. ???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White one in the back. It's beak is slightly grayish. Splash BA or wheaten Penedesenca? I have a 6 mo splash pullet adn she was MUCH more gray at this age, more like the blue one in the front, but I have seen on hatchery sites drawings of BA's that show white chicks.
    [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I do think you got my shipment by mistake.
    Please send them to me.
    I will let you know in a couple months what they turned out to be. [​IMG]

3. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    LOL!!! I'll get right on that. [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Well, I emailed MPC, and they said I got what I ordered. [​IMG] I can see I got everything else, but I only see 3 Blue Andalusians (1 black, 1 blue, 1 splash) and 1 mystery chick. [​IMG]

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    no no nooooooooooooooo!!!!! i ordered some and they must have been mixed up so send them back to me!!!

6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see 3 Andalusians. There's no Black Copper Marans in there, I do see an Ancona, (far left bottom photo for example) and Penedesencas, hard to say. When they get a little older, look at their combs and look for a little extra spike on each side of the back of their comb. You didn't get any Empordanesas though as no hatchery sells those, far as I'm concerned. If you got these from Meyer Hatchery, that means they came from Gabbard Farms, which again, I doubt have such.

The white chick in question is a Splash Andalusian.

8. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Your light chick looks just like my splash Andy at that age. I also see a chick that looks to have a grey body and brown head (??) that might be a splash andalusian. Last year I got my chicks from MPC and ordered two Andalusian pullets in the hope that at least one would be blue - I ended up with a splash pullet and black cockerel. My black Andy started out primarily brown, and was a huge source of confusion for the longest time. He ended up glossy black with some red leakage. I'll try to get some pics up on here for you to use for comparison.

This is what my Andalusian roo looked like at 2 days:
    [​IMG]

This is what he looked like at ~6 months. The splash hen next to him is a funny mix that I got from MPC, not my other Andy (who you can kind of see in the background):
    [​IMG]

Here's my splash Andy at about a week (or a little more):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Quote:Thanks! I think you're right about my gray chick with lots of brown on its head and back being my 4th Andalusian. It's wing feathers are coming in very well now, and they have that characteristic blue with black lacing!!! I am so shocked that one of my BROWN chicks is one of the Andalusians I ordered! I assume that means it's poor quality. [​IMG] So I'm still confused about the lighter chick. One of the ones I thought was one of the Dark Cornish b/c it's color was different from the Speckled Sussex I think is a speckled Sussex b/c it's feathers are coming in like theirs and it's huge like the other 3. So I guess my lighter chipmunk chick is a dark Cornish?! That's ok, b/c they are one of the breeds I just wanted to have in my mixed free range flock, so I am not too concerned if they are of poorer quality since I won't be breeding them. Well, I will, but not for breeding purposes, just to get more chicks for laying and meat. They'll still be neat looking and have pretty feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by