1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did my eyes just hear?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Jul 4, 2011.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    This is the weirdest thing I've heard of in months.

A science program recently had this demonstration - they play 3 videos of a person saying a word, and you're supposed to guess what consonant the word starts with.

This is VERY weird, I warn you. What they did, was play the SOUND of one word, and the VIDEO of a person saying a different word.

You will hear a different sound - if they play a video of a person saying a different sound.

Yep.

If you SEE a person's mouth making one sound, and hear a different sound, you will actually perceive a 'wrong' sound.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Huh! [​IMG]

Well.. Light does travel faster than sound....

So I would imagine the brain would process the first stimuli rather than the second?

I wonder if you knew what was happening, would you be able to focus on the sound rather than the visual?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kinda like when you mouth olive oil to someone, their normal response is I love you too.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Quote:I have seen that video and it has gotten me in the past, but now that I know what I am looking for it does not fool me.

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Probably because sight is the dominant sense in humans, it would be the most trusted in a confusing situation for the body [​IMG]

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I had never heard the olive oil one, but I've seen it done with "elephant nose".

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    N...not exactly. Both the visual and sound information are processed at the same time, and are compared to each other, and the brain makes a decision what the sound is by BOTH simultaneously - that's the whole cool thing about it. The brain uses BOTH pieces of information to decide.

Say.....

1.) the sound is GA and the video is of a person's mouth making the sound BA.....It sounded like NEITHER GA NOR BA.
    2.) the sound is GA and the video is of a person's mouth making the sound GA (both same).....fine, the sound is GA.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I had never heard the olive oil one, but I've seen it done with "elephant nose".

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by