1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did they sell me? Gold Laced Orpingtons ? Australorps? Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AllAboutMyGirls, Jun 12, 2015.

1. AllAboutMyGirls

AllAboutMyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    Hello everyone. I need some help trying to figure out what type of chickens I have. These babies were bought from a breeder as day old gold laced Orpington pullets. Obviously, they are Roos but I'm starting to question if they are gold laced Orpingtons. We paid a lot of money for these guys so I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.. They are 10 weeks old

Chicken 1 Big Black has some white tips and 2 feathers that have gold tips

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 2 is Gold Finger he has yellow feet and blue and gold feathers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 3 Puff Daddy he is black with some gold feathers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Y[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Think you got some accidental mixed breeds. Did this breeder have any other breeds besides Gold Laced Orpingtons?

3. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    According to his website he has red, partridge, gold laced, chocolate, lavender, jubilee, black, blue, splash, spangled, Isabel, mauve, and silver laced all Orpingtons. I think you're right.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's not breeding very good quality Orpingtons if they are throwing yellow legs. That's a big red flag that he's not being very careful with his breeding practices. No Orpington of any color variety should have yellow legs.

5. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    This is so upsetting. I hope he doesn't give me a hard time when I ask for our money back.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You did not get what you paid for, you should absolutely be refunded.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

And there is not a single pullet.

8. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    No pullets! We bought 6 chicks 3 gold laced Orpingtons, 1 chocolate Orpington, 1 black Orpington, and 1 blue Orpington. Our chocolate baby died when he was 3 days old. He had a problem with his cord. Our black little boy was taken by a hawk a couple of days ago and I gave my blue guy to a friend because I can't keep all the Roos.

9. chocol8bikini

chocol8bikini Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Washington
    Did you get them from PaPa's???? Mine look similar!!! I have one "orpington" that has a tail like a serma! They all feathered late like 3-4 months!!! Horrible quality!!

10. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    No, mine came from Ultimate Orpington in Virginia. The quality of the birds I bought was so bad that when I tried to recoup some of the money I lost, by selling the roosters, I had people complaining that they weren't even Orpington's but barnyard mixes. When I reached out to the seller all he wanted to do was send me more chicks. When the new chicks finally arrived one was dead and another died a few days later. Plus on the packing slip he wrote straight run when I specifically asked and paid for the chicks to be sexed. I paid $5 per chick to be sexed. I called the seller but this time he wouldn't return my phone calls. As the weeks went on I started to notice that the new batch of chicks were not only poor quality but cockerels. When I contacted Ultimate Orpington he insisted that there had to be pullets in the new batch so I told him that I had no problem sending him more pictures and his response was "well I'll send you more chicks". By this time my husband and I were absolutely furious because this was the second batch of chicks that we brooded, fead all organic feed, had them vaccinated and then had to give them away. So here we are about $500 lost because this guy is selling us low-quality cockerels that he's just trying to get ride of. My husband told me not to deal with that company ever again. All they did was waste our time and take our money.

After our experience with Ultimate Orpington I don't think I'll ever order birds from a breeder again. I know some people think that you should order from a breeder and not a hatchery but I tell you what all my hatchery chicks are good quality and sexed perfectly.

I am so sorry that you're going through the same thing we went through. It's funny that you say one of your birds looks like a Serama because One of the birds in the second batch of chicks has that same crazy tail and orange feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by