What did they send me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by susan83, Feb 6, 2014.

1. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    I ordered 15 buff orpingtons from ideal poultry and got an additional 7 males for warmth. My question is what breed?[​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

The black chick looks like a barred rock

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Barred or cuckoo bird for sure. Yellow legs so Rock or Dominique.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Why kind of comb does the black one have?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking barred Rock.

If rose comb, could be Dominique, but Ideal has Doms waitlisted through May, so they're probably not using them as packing peanuts.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3 looks to be a single comb, yellow legged Barred Rock...nice packing peanut.
    Lady of McCamley

8. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    I agree they do look like barred rock. Yes their combs look like they will be single. I'm kinda hoping they are barred because they will be easier to get rid of because their pretty markings. Now I just have to find homes for them. That being said my friend wants just a roo. But she doesn't have any chickens. Do you think that will cause a problem for her in the future, to just have a rooster running around in her back yard?

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Well, depends on several things...why does she want it, and what will she do with it? Is it supposed to be a pet? Has she had any animal/chicken experience?

The neighbors might not like the sound of a rooster. And chickens are flock animals and are not their happiest as single animals, unlike a dog or cat which will attach to the humans as their pack or pride (respectively)...but then they aren't happy being left alone for hours either....so unless she plans to roost out with the bird or bring him into the house as a true pet (yes, I shudder a bit as chickens are livestock to me, sorry), I'd rethink the idea.

It's usually best to have at least 2 or more chickens to act as a flock in your yard if you want yard birds. Since you may have more than one rooster to hand off, remember two roosters might fight, One rooster and one hen might mean the hen would get too much manly attention....so I'm leading up to a small flock or trio as what most do.

Some roosters are very sweet; some are quite aggressive. Roosters often are not good around children (while some are).

So, if she wants just one chicken, and has no other flock animals (like geese or ducks) where the rooster would hang, I could see some potential issues for her.

Lady of McCamley

10. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive had good luck raising roos together. With no access to ladies, most do fine. Agree on them not doing well alone. He would be very unhappy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by