What did this? 6 chickens dead, 2 injured, all bodies found

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jesirose, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    [​IMG]

It tore a whole in 2x4 welded wire, two layers of wire.

[​IMG]

Tiny bit of red fur, only evidence of an animal.

Found 2 dead and partially eaten, 4 just dead, 2 with feathers pulled out, possible a broken leg.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Songster

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Dang. That's impressive. I didn't think anything could get through welded wire except a bear or wolf size creature. How big is that hole? Is that a cage or did it enter the coop or pull out the chickens? Maybe there is a university nearby where that bit of fur could be analyzed?

3. kritters

kritters Hatching

Jul 22, 2013
    My guess a fox.
    Send the info to the Turtleman he would know for sure.

4. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    Hole is between 12-18", probably closer to 12.

Don't foxes take the body?

5. 20736

20736 Songster

Jun 6, 2012
    And I am gonna guess coyote. A fox would not be strong enough to get thru the wire. Least not a Maryland fox LOL.
    Plus, 'yotes are blood thirsty and about that size.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Songster

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    The only animal I personally know for sure that doesn't take the body is the dog. I think coyotes take them and anything else big enough would probably take them. Dogs, for sure, just kill them and leave them. The rest of the critter's, I just really don't know.

7. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    My husband says anything that can get through the welded wire will get through hardware cloth too. I have no idea what we are going to do. This is the second attack we've had at this property. Maybe we need to surround them with chainlink fencing?

Not sure what to do with the bodies either.

We noticed the neighbor has 4 bodies right at his fenceline, all in various stages of decay (We found them while looking for survivors). So whatever it is doesn't even come back later and finish their meal.
    Just kills them.

8. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    The section of wire in the photo is just under 3 ft square. So the hole is about 12 inches I'd say.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I would bet it was a dog.

10. 3 or 4 hot wires around the whole coop area will have a good effect on all predators you face. The damage you show is likely caused by either a bobcat or a fox. Once a predator in inside the pen they go hog wild, the squawking and flying of panicked chickens only serve to ignite a predator's blood lust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: