what did this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jamband, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    its my fault......I forgot to turn the fence back on and something got one hen. There was a pile of feathers next to coop from strike and then the carcass was left in the corner with the guts eaten out.
    Head still on so I dont think coon.

Only took one so I dont think possum, weasel, dog

maybe a fox but wouldnt he have taken the body?

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    It could be just about anything, a fox more often than never will take the whole thing away and you would be none the wiser, a cat though would just sit by and munch away with no cares in the world. But again, it could have been anything,

sorry about your loss,

Ema

3. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Same thing happend to mine in the past. Only the insides were eaten and the rest of the bird left over. Definitely raccoons on my end. I have seen their foot prints. They are vicious, but ooh so cute in my opinion.

4. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Also wanted to mention it WILL RETURN! I had an attack the next night and a couple of days later until I figured out where it was getting in. I bought NiteGuard and installed it in on the front side of my coop area, but wanted to get more for a complete sqaure of coverage. I haven't had an attack yet, but found foot prints just a couple of days ago. I don't know if the blinking red eyes scared it away or what, but didn't find any prints on my coop or in the dirt in front of the pens. For $20/piece I would say it is a small investment to make.

5. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    ^^^ whatever it was got in because I left the electric fence off by mistake..

I thought coons always ate the head first?

hmmmm a cat like a domestic cat would eat the insides?? or like bobcat cat?

thanks

6. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Wow! I didn't even know about this. I've been having nightmares about racoons getting into my coop and taking out my flock after a friend of mine had an attack 2 weeks ago and she lives about 1 mile from my house. We had racoons in our yard several years ago and I would hate to have anything happen to my ladies and girls!

7. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Wow! I didn't even know about this. I've been having nightmares about racoons getting into my coop and taking out my flock after a friend of mine had an attack 2 weeks ago and she lives about 1 mile from my house. We had racoons in our yard several years ago and I would hate to have anything happen to my ladies and girls!

Yes, you definitely want to take precautionary measures. The carcass isn't a pretty sight and will surely stay ingrained in your mind.

8. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:They don't always eat the heads. I have lost about a dozen throughout the years and have seen just heads eaten or just chests eaten. It was raccoons for sure because their was footprints and feces. If you google raccoon feces images you may recognize seeing it around your place. It's quite distinct.

9. sherylreno

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada

Yes, you definitely want to take precautionary measures. The carcass isn't a pretty sight and will surely stay ingrained in your mind.

I know we are secured for the most part, we used the hard metalcloth all around our coop but we left vent openings all around the roof line in the run & coop house and that's what's scaring me the most. My friend used plain chicken wire and has since learned her lesson so to say. Then I saw 2 pictures of a racoon climbing straight up a chicken coop as if it was a ladder not having any issues what so ever climbing - that scared me the most. [​IMG]

10. sherylreno

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG]

This is my coop we are currently building, you can't see where the openings are because they are beneath the overhang but there is a good space between the roof line and all around the coop areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by