What did this?

Moonkssd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Marietta, Pa
I lost 9 chickens last night. Whatever did this knocked down an chicken wire wall I have found 4 piles of feathers not a bone skin foot nothing left 2 piles in close proximity to each other in a neighbors yard, 1 about 20 feet away from those then another pile 50 feet from that one. nothing left but feathers. I have found 1 chicken unhurt under a neighbors tree. My neighbor heard all of the commotion around 3 oclock in the morning. She said to her it looked like a large cat. Would a cat eat all of that?
Im just sick

I am sorry. I lost two to a dog yesterday. I think it sounds like a cougar, or something of that nature. That is the only thing I can think of that would be that fast in catching all of them, and it would make sense that you didn’t find any beaks or feet since large cats tend to carry off and eat their kills in areas that they feel secure, like around fallen trees. Also I think they hide what they don’t eat so it probably pounced and then carried them off. Cats are pretty efficient killers so they probably didn’t suffer.
sad.png

No cougars in my area i think what she saw was a cat looking for anything left.
Im waiting for it tonight. Im sure it will be back and that will be its final mistake

I am so sorry for your loss-whatever got them sounds big! Keep us posted on what you find and take care of your surviving chicken(s)!

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't concentrate on "what" killed your chickens -- chicken wire killed your chickens. The cardinal rule is that chicken wire won't keep anything out; it only keeps chickens IN! You need to get hardware cloth up there, stat, because whatever it is will be back, you can bet on it.
Again, sorry for your loss.

im sorry for your loss. idk if this will help but possums and skunks are chk killers too. especially skunks. i found 1 in my coop 1day. i had no eggs and a badly wounded rir chicken. skunks are a cousin to weasels and can go on a crazy vicious killing spree like weasels. i hope this helps.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom