What did we do wrong ? Chick died over night :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by our4sons, May 8, 2009.

1. our4sons

our4sons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Hello, our chicks hatched May 4th around 12pm. We had a horrible first hatch, as out of 36 eggs only 7 hatched and of those only 4 survived their first night. Then this morning I found another chick dead [​IMG] We have them in a big rubber maid tub with a heat lamp, chick starter food, and a waterier with cedar chips for bedding here is a video of my son naming them so you can see the set up.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j...ction=view&current=2009_0506cameranew0083.flv

I hope someone has some insight on why she died, I sure would hate to loose anymore. There were absolutely no warning that she was sick. When we went to bed she was fine running around chirping with the others:(

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    IDK...I am so sorry though [​IMG]

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Get rid of the cedar that is soooo bad!!! NOW!! They need pine shavings and actually should be on paper towels for the first couple of days. GOod luck, Keep us posted! [​IMG]

4. our4sons

Apr 20, 2009
    Quote:Ok my boys are taking the cedar out right now. Why is it bad for them?

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
  6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA

The fumes and oils are toxic and will cause respiritory failure and can cause all kinds of other problems also. I would wash out whatever they were in and put them on paper towels, give them some fresh water and google on here what else you can do. I just know that cedar is a huge no-no! Good luck, I hope the rest make it. Especially for the kids sakes. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. our4sons

Apr 20, 2009
    OH man I can't believe that with all the reading I have done I did not see that cedar was so horrible [​IMG] I sure hope it is not to late for our remaining 3 chicks [​IMG] They look fine and are running around like normal. [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone!

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad. There is so much to read here, it can get overwhelming. You did the right thing by posting the question....

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia

The fumes and oils are toxic and will cause respiritory failure and can cause all kinds of other problems also. I would wash out whatever they were in and put them on paper towels, give them some fresh water and google on here what else you can do. I just know that cedar is a huge no-no! Good luck, I hope the rest make it. Especially for the kids sakes. [​IMG] [​IMG]

AGREED!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by