1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did we do wrong? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vwgurl2, Sep 23, 2012.

1. vwgurl2

vwgurl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    We have 9 eggs in an incubator and we are on day 23 with no pipping or scratching. We have a Little Giant still air incubator and a digital incubator thermometer hydrometer. Through out the last 23 days our temps were no lower than 99 and no higher than about 101. Humidity ranged from about 40-55 % until we locked down at day 18 at which we kept the humidity at around 60. We had candled them (can't remember which day) and all but one had a mass and vein-looking things. We took that one out after that. It appears we did everything right but I would think that we should be hearing something!! Any ideas what went wrong? Were our temps not right? We put a second thermoter in the incubator just to see what it read and it was about 10 degrees lower than our digital thermometer. Anything information would be helpful!! Thanks!!!

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

When you candle now, do you see any movement in the air cell? IF the temps were lower, they could take a few days longer. I had a broody hen who I was sure lost every egg. They all hatched on days 24-25... Just saying...

3. vwgurl2

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My husband candled again tonight and only 2 looked like there was a mass. He put them back in the incubator for another day or two just in case.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Digital thermometers are notoriously inaccurate - I would recommend switching to an analog, and find a way to calibrate it before you try again. My method for "calibrating" was a little unorthodox but worked. I went to Walmart and found a little thermometer that sells for $1. They had 20 of them on the rack. Being an analog, I could see right through the packaging what temperature it was reading. 14 of them read 75, so I concluded that Walmart had their thermostat set to 75. I bought one of those, brought it home and set it on my house thermostat. A few hours later it read the same temp as my thermostat.

Since I switched to using that thermometer, I went from having 0% hatches to 100% on my last hatch.

1 person likes this.
  5. vwgurl2

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'm begining to wonder if when we candled them we set them down wrong or maybe we moved them a little too much. Would that have messed up the incubation? I have read some other posts from ppl and it doesn't really seem like we did anything too wrong.

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I would think it has to do with the temperature. I bet it was off with such a huge variation in the 2 thermometers.

7. vwgurl2

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Here is an update.... We just cracked them open and 4 out of the 9 had chicks in them that were around day 16 or 17. 2 more had earlier embryos possibly day 10 or so. 1 was infertile and the other 2 were early deaths. So something went wrong after lockdown. Our next attempt we are going to keep a diary of temps and humidity to make sure this does not happen again. This has been very disappointing and any additional tips would be helpful! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by