What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Sorry for your loss @littledog. I lost a hen midsummer. She was healthy looking and eating well. Went into the coop one afternoon and she was dead. No marks on her, no apparent trauma. My Fall garden is struggling a bit. The cabbage is bug fodder and it looks like the kale is the second course. The rutabagas might make it. The carrots are doing well. Yesterday I picked over a half pound of green beans. some lima beans, a couple of okra and what should be the last of the tomatoes. There are still jalapenos and poblano peppers developing as well as the okra. Sorry for loss as well @TJAnonymous. Integrating chicks is my least favorite thing. After my first time of trying to integrate without bloodshed, I built a grow out pen. This pen is between the big chicken run and the rooster pad. Last year integrating the BO pullets was a little painful, but this year things seem to be off to a good start. DD came over to help supervise yesterday when I let the nearly 4 month old Columbian Wyandotte pullets "free range" with the big girls. It went really well, only one or two pulled feathers and the "little" into the big run for a little while. The big girls were a bit more territorial inside the run, but not as dramatic as in the past. I'll continue to let them free range together for at least a week before they do their first sleepover in the big coop. This is so much less stressful for all of us. I need to process another pound of green beans for the freezer today, throw some more herbs into the dehydrator and see if the last bowl of peaches in the basement refrigerator are still good. Next week I'll pick up apples from the local orchard. I'm seriously ready for something other than peaches. Have a great day everyone.

Had a little visitor the other day.
Monarch Butterfly Sep2021.jpg

Sorry for your loss @littledog, and I'm glad your broken beak sounds like a much less serious injury @Sueby. I'd have been really scared by it too.

I'm looking for a canning recipe for Ro-tel. I know someone here posted or said they had a recipe last year but I've searched and can't find it. Does anyone remember?
Thank you. I was scared, google it & they talk about those injuries being life threatening, yet she doesn't seem to care!

I remember that post on rotel - maybe it was @karenerwin?

The new brooder came today... I rigged up a MHP to work in the little house. We'll see how it goes. Might have to modify as we work through this.

Chicks seem happier now that they have daylight. I had to cover the previous one with blankets to keep the older chick from flying out. 😂

View attachment 2840337
Looks like a guinea pig cage. What heat source are you using in there?

Back
Top Bottom