What did you feed your chickens today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DianeS, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I wonder what everybody feeds their chickens on a random day. So I picked today to ask!

My four chickens got about 1/4 of a day's worth of layer pellets, two peeled apples (leftovers from an apple pie, they got the peels yesterday), a handful of birdseed, about two gallon jugs worth of weeds I pulled up from the yard, three green tomatoes, a double handful of plums, a bowl of scrambled eggs, and some leftover McDonald's french fries.

They loved them! I don't always have that much random food to give them, they are really happy when I do have it.

You?

2. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I spoiled the girls today. They got some leftover chicken soup - made from scratch. BOSS, scratch, lettuce, and tomato. Also the regular layer feed.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. Tangeygirl

Tangeygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They got their usual layer feed, free-ranged for a couple of hours and then had elbow macaroni which they ALWAYS go LOONEY for and some peas which suprisingly they went to town on. [​IMG]

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    To the regular feed they got a treat of cat food with leftover bacon grease and water to soften it up, plus a bowl of scraps left over from dinner, two over ripe tomatoes. And to roam all over the spent garden and dried up yard (we have a draught here).

5. Lil' Roo

Lil' Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Scratch and layer pellets, left over baked potatoes, a busted pumpkin, some bread and a little BOSS

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Layer pellets, BOSS, leftover brown rice, whole wheat pasta and a chunk of meatloaf, two huge handfuls of giant grubs, several small green caterpillars, two figs and whatever they found in the yard today.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    In addition to their regular feed and some BOSS, my hens got leftover rooster/noodle soup made with the roos who made them all bareback chickens. What goes around comes around, and revenge was sweet.

8. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Free choice of their normal layer food. Scratch grains, some Watermelon... and a little poached chicken (homegrown) [​IMG]

9. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Their regular grain (from the local grain mill), leftovers from last night: roast beef, hubbard squash, salad greens
    that couldn't make it into the salad bowl, two overripe tomatoes, and some cantelope rinds.

They loved it! [​IMG]

10. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Their regular feed (a mix of scratch, layer pellets, and turkey grower), free access to oyster shells, free range some of them adventured out into the alfalfa field, and random scraps from the commercial garden that's in the process of being cleared out for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by